Pseudio Avalon Mall, Croyde Beach Weather, Benzema Fifa 21 Card, Grandfather In Korean Language, South Sudan Pound To Pkr, Brockport High School Cross Country, Guernsey Border Agency Phone Number, Examples Of Incentives In Everyday Life, Michael Ball Daughter, The Parent Hood Podcast, " /> Pseudio Avalon Mall, Croyde Beach Weather, Benzema Fifa 21 Card, Grandfather In Korean Language, South Sudan Pound To Pkr, Brockport High School Cross Country, Guernsey Border Agency Phone Number, Examples Of Incentives In Everyday Life, Michael Ball Daughter, The Parent Hood Podcast, " />

psalm 62 reformed commentary

Home » psalm 62 reformed commentary

I can’t think of a more remarkable demonstration of this than that of Job. This psalm has nothing in it directly either of prayer or praise, nor does it appear upon what occasion it was penned, nor whether upon any particular occasion, whether mournful or joyful. "From experience and the Bible, we learn that this world and the people in it are unreliable. This is where by faith we have to join Joseph, who told his brothers who had sold him into slavery (Gen. 50:20), “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good….” By faith, affirm both God’s power and His love. “Don’t lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth. ), which the WEB has updated. Get it as soon ... $53.62 $ 53. Now he encourages others to adopt the same faith so that they might experience the same blessings. Bible commentaries and study helps- All the Bible commentaries will be listed either by Old Testament or New Testament and not by the authors name.. Study helps: Manners and Customs of Bible Lands (Pdf). This is the message that the psalmist heard––”all power belongs to God.”  This recaps the message of verses 5-8, which speak of God as “my rock, my salvation, my fortress” (v. 6). “for you reward (Hebrew: salam) every man according to his work” (Hebrew: ma‘aseh) (v. 12b). ), The New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible, 5 vol. You ask yourself, “Why are you cast down?” Then you exhort yourself to hope in God. 4 (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1996), Ross, Allen P., A Commentary on the Psalms, 42-89, Vol. Thank You Father, for the cloud of witnesses that demonstrated a quite confidence in You. We show much anxiety and ingenuity in seeking to escape our troubles without God. It appears that the first epistle of Peter was written by the apostle from Rome sometime around A.D. 62-63, immediately before severe persecution began under Nero. In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word for God is usually YHWH or Yahweh, which is the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob––the God of Israel. The message is that his hope stems from his relationship with God. January 22, 2012. They were part of his family. Jump to: Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible; John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible; that they be ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Clear Advanced Options. In favor of reading the entire psalm is the repetition in verses 1 and 5 of the refrain. This is a difficult edict to obey. Psalms 42-72 - Reformed Expository Commentary (Phillips) Author: Phillips, Richard D. $24.00. However, it also means honor, majesty, and wealth. The word hesed has a rich variety of meanings––kindness, lovingkindness, mercy, goodness, faithfulness, or love. It carries the sense of wavering or weakness. Why does he do this? When he died, we think that they still called his group of singers "Jeduthun". Dictionaries: Bridgeway Bible Dictionary (Pdf). So, humbling yourself “under the mighty hand of God” (1 Pet. There are a number of helpful commentaries on the Book of 1 Peter, and the following are five of the best. $40.00 (You save $16.00 ) SKU: 9781629954554. 2 Bei Gott allein wird ruhig meine Seele, von ihm kommt mir Rettung. ), The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, 6 vol. The attacks seem to have been prolonged, as seen by David’s cry, “How long?” The New King James Version translates verse 3b, “You shall be slain, all of you, like a leaning wall and a tottering fence,” making it David’s words against his enemies. for my expectation is from him. Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible by Matthew Henry. I will not be shaken. Commentary on Psalm 67:1-7 View Bible Text . For Jeduthun. 1 My soul rests in God alone. The royal/kingship psalms are Psalms 2, 18, and 118, and the torah psalms are Psalms 1, 19, and 119. Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Get it as soon as Fri, Oct 16. Old Testament Theology 10+The Whole Pentateuch 34+ Post-Exile. His words found their way into the psalmist’s heart, where he heard them a second time––and almost certainly many more times. and men of high degree are a lie. The psalm selection for the third Sunday after Epiphany is 62:5-12. It’s an attitude of trustful submission. But in it, Since we all struggle to get to that place—and as we’ll see in the psalm, David himself struggled to remain there—I’ll try to focus on how to come to that place of complete trust in God. FAITH AS TRUST. How does this psalm apply to them? John Trapp Complete Commentary. Current Stock: Quantity: Add to Wish List. Read. Psalm 62. Isn’t that so true! The Book of Psalms is one of the most beloved portions of Holy Scripture. “Also to you, Lord, belongs loving kindness” (Hebrew: hesed) (v. 12a). So far no one has threatened my life!” But they were trying to murder David. We can imagine a worship leader or choir singing the body of the psalm, with the congregation or a larger choir intoning the refrain: May God be gracious to us and bless us and … Continue reading "Commentary on Psalm 67:1-7" He asks (p. 20), “Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?” He goes on to explain that rather than just going along with the thoughts that come to you in the morning, which bring back all of the problems of yesterday, you’ve got to take yourself in hand, preach to yourself, and question yourself. where moth and rust consume, astutely observes that “absorption with riches counts as no less perilous than a life of crime.” Most of us probably aren’t tempted to use oppression or robbery to get out of our trials, but we may be tempted to trust in money. They were counseling together how to thrust him down from his role as king by assassinating him. the good counsel given is, to trust wholly in God. KJV NKJV NLT NIV ESV CSB NASB. Jeduthun Psalm Of David] In God alone there is rest for my soul, from him comes my safety; 2 he alone is my rock, my safety, my stronghold so that I stand unshaken. Keyword: Filter: Page 1 | Found: 25 sermons: SORT. I offer it to you today as our Sabbath day’s meditation, along with brief commentary by the always helpful Matthew Henry. 3 Er allein ist mein Fels und meine Rettung, meine Burg, ich werde niemals wanken. A Psalm by David. The Psalmist claims, in no uncertain terms, that his trust is grounded in God (Psalm 62:2). The rock of my strength, and my refuge (Hebrew manseh), is in God” (v. 7b). The idea behind this verse is that people, whether of low or high degree, have issues. I will never be greatly shaken. Paul expressed this kind of faith in his letter to the church in Rome. Psalm 62 - For the director of music. Are some more bio-chemically disposed to anxiety than others are? In other words, it could be used of gods other than Yahweh. ), The Complete WordStudy Old Testament (Chattanooga; AMG Publishers, 1994), Baker, Warren and Carpenter, Eugene, The Complete WordStudy Dictionary: Old Testament (Chattanooga: AMG Publishers, 2003), Bromiley, Geoffrey (General Editor), The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Revised, 4 vols. Yet our experience and the Bible also testify that God is a secure foundation upon whom to … Then having done that, end on this great note: defy yourself, and defy other people, and defy the devil and the whole world, and say with this man: “I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance, who is also the health of my countenance and my God.”, That’s exactly what David does in Psalm 62. “that power belongs to God” (v. 11b). He trusted in God; he poured out his heart to God; he took refuge in God. David was often in trouble; we don’t know the life circumstances which prompted this psalm.It does seem to come after he came to the throne. NET RSV ASV YLT DBY WEB HNV. “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31). The “Top 10” list is based on aggregate reviews.. 12 Also to you, Lord, belongs loving kindness, for you reward every man according to his work. After telling himself to wait in silence for God only (62:5), he adds (62:5b-6), “for my hope is from Him. Stay connected A manseh is a refuge or a shelter. Psalm 62:5-12. Where is the proper balance between trusting in God. Study the bible online using commentary on Psalms 78 and more! Anderson, A.A., The New Century Bible Commentary: Psalms 1-72 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1972), Broyles, Craig C., New International Biblical Commentary: Psalms (Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, 1999, Brueggemann, Walter, The Message of the Psalms A Theological Commentary (Minneapolis: Augsburg Press, 1984), Clifford, Richard J., Abingdon Old Testament Commentaries: Psalms 1-72 (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2002), DeClaisse-Walford, Nancy; Jacobson, Rolf A.; Tanner, Beth Laneel, The New International Commentary on the Old Testament:  The Book of Psalms (Grand Rapids:  Wm. Psalms 62:8 Trust in him at all times; [ye] people, pour out your heart before him: God [is] a refuge for us. ; and Briggs, Charles A., The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon (Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, 1906, 2004), Doniach, N.S. Here it probably means that God repeated the answer or impressed it upon David more than once to drive the point home. Back to: Bible Commentaries Job ⇐ ⇒ Proverbs . Harmony of the Gospels. Binding: Hardcover. “God has spoken once; twice I have heard this” (v. 11a). Hopefully you’ll never have anyone plotting to kill you! Pages: 392. We were in danger of eternal separation from God if we should die in that condition. The word mot means to be moved or to fall. The Paperback Bible presents the Bible by the Book and is designed to be portable, readable, and truly personal with ample margins for notations. David can’t contain the joy of knowing God as his salvation, so he writes (62:8), “Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.” What a wonderful verse! Psalm 61 – Hope and Help When My Heart is Overwhelmed. “Trust in him at all times, you people. In verses 3 & 4, he has been thinking about his enemies and the extreme threat that they represented. The rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. “Charge those who are rich in this present world Years ago, we knew a young family in Dallas with two children and a third on the way. Commentary on Psalm 32:8-11 (Read Psalm 32:8-11) God teaches by his word, and guides with the secret intimations of his will. (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2007), Freedman, David Noel (Ed. It carries the idea of brevity or something like a vapor that appears for a moment and then is gone. 11 God has spoken once; twice I have heard this, that power belongs to God. ), Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2000), Mounce, William D., (ed. “Don’t lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth, The Search OF the Savior: Why Jesus Came, Part 1 (Luke 19:1-10), Bible Storying Series - Teaching The Story Of God Chronologically, Bible Teaching Ideas: The Ten Commandments And Ten Fingers. That was certainly the Old Testament understanding, with its emphasis on obeying God’s laws. So, He must not love you. They were spreading falsehoods and using flattery, telling him that he was a great king, while inwardly cursing him. It is a place where a person can feel secure. I am continuing today with my series of sermons for the season after Epiphany about the character of God. God is the psalmist’s refuge. . The ASV, which is also in the public domain due to expired copyrights, was a very good translation, but included many archaic words (hast, shineth, etc. This list of commentaries is intended to help the reader understand and apply the authors’ messages in the book of Psalms. … Psalm 62 : Play. Commentary, Psalm 62:5-12, Wendell Frerichs, Preaching This Week, WorkingPreacher.org, 2009. The psalm falls into three stanzas, the first two ending with “Selah.” The first section (62:1-4) we may label “Composure in threatening times.” The second section (62:5-8) is “Composure reaffirmed.” The final section (62:9-12) is “Contrast,” where David shows us what not to trust in and whom to trust in. Torrey's Topical Textbook. David vows not be allow his enemies to get the best of him. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2014), Gower, Ralph, The New Manners and Customs of Bible Times (Chicago: Moody Press, 1987), Kidner, Derek, Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries: Psalms 1-72, Vol. New American Standard Version. “Don’t trust in oppression. 5.0 out of 5 stars 2. If we trust in God, we’re secure. In truth, both Old and New Testaments find faith and works to be critical to the Godly life. But if you’re in any kind of leadership position, whether in the church or in business, you will have times when you’re under attack. In 1777, Dr. William Dodd, a London clergyman, was condemned to be hanged for forgery. Matthew Henry (Matthew Henry’s Commentary [Revell], 3:467) says, “To some God speaks twice and they will not hear once; but to others he speaks but once, and they hear twice.” Make sure that you hear twice God’s answer for how to deal with threatening problems: First, God is powerful; second, He is loving. These sermons are drawn from the Book of Psalms which are prayerful meditations on God and what God is like. The psalmist trusts God alone for his salvation. In one (“God Alone the Salvation of His People,” Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit [Pilgrim Publications], 2:210) he writes, “If anyone should ask us what we would choose for our motto, as preachers of the gospel, we think we should reply, ‘God only is our salvation.’” He goes on to say that this sentence is the sum and substance of Calvinism (which he held to, as do I), to say that salvation is of the Lord. Each of these meanings indicate a kindly and positive attitude toward the beloved. 62:4,9). 1. Introductions to the Bible. Rather, with David we must fight to make God our only source of deliverance: “He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold.” Then, “I shall not be shaken” (62:6). 10 $39.99 $39.99. The Reformation Commentary on Scripture, an important and growing collection of biblical commentary, is one of the featured resources in the Logos Reformation Day sale. In the original Hebrew, there is no word for “wait” in this verse. How does pouring out your heart to God (62:8) fit with waiting silently for Him (62:1, 5)? There are a number of great commentaries on the book of Psalms. That tension is further amplified when we see James’ emphasis on works as an outgrowth of faith––and as evidence that faith is really at work in a person (James 2). So the point is, David is fighting here, while under these life-threatening attacks, to put these comforting truths front and center in his mind. Publisher: P&R Publishing. FAITH AS TRUST. Chapter 62 + Text Size — 1 (To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David.) We are temporarily meeting at the meeting house of the Mt. If God is for us, who is against us? David knew God personally as his hope, his rock, his salvation, his stronghold, his strength, and his refuge. 11:4), “Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.”. However, when it is used in the plural form of one God, as it is here, scholars refer to it as a “plural of majesty”––like the “royal we” where the king uses “we” to speak of himself and those whom he commands. He tempts you with the thought that if God is all-powerful, He could have prevented these trials. Share on Facebook. And why are you disturbed within me? But in so doing, he says, we only get ourselves into “a labyrinth of difficulties.” The answer is to pour out our hearts before Him, taking refuge in Him, because He cares for us. A Liturgy of Blessing. I don’t know what Bible they were reading! How long will you assault me? Rather, it shows us what to do when you’re under attack. Text Commentaries. The ones that fit here are repay or reward. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, From 1977-1992 he was the pastor of Lake Gregory Community Church in Crestline, California. This new exposition of the 2nd book of the Psalms Is such … The address is 15224 CR 75, Kenton, OH 43326. Share on Twitter. For more great commentaries on Psalms, be sure to check: Commentaries on the Whole Old Testament & Whole Bible Commentaries . RVR60 VUL WLC LXX mGNT TR . But in it, I. David with a great deal of pleasure professes his own confidence in God and dependence upon him, and encourages himself to continue waiting on him ( v. 1-7 ). 2 He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress— He’s telling us how he endured this terrible attack on his life by these fierce, cunning enemies. “I will not be shaken” (Hebrew: mot) (v. 6b). David begins (61:1a), “My soul waits in silence for God only.” Calvin (p. 418) helpfully explains what David means by “silence”: “The silence intended is, in short, that composed submission of the believer, in the exercise of which he acquiesces in the promises of God, gives place to his word, bows to his sovereignty, and suppresses every inward murmur of dissatisfaction.”. David adds (62:1b-2), “from Him is my salvation. Obviously, they’re not contradictory. The doctors finally decided that they would deliver the premature baby by C-section and then attempt to save the mother’s life. Bible Reference. And also verses 9-10, which speak of people as “just a breath” (v. 9). Psalm 62 instructs us that the supreme power in all creation is God. Perhaps God spoke in a vision––or in a “still, small voice” (see 1 Kings 19:11-13). This is not a way of saying that God is taking them to heaven. Copyright, Steven J. Cole, 2009, All Rights Reserved. God is a refuge for us” (v. 8). How did God speak to the psalmist? 5:6) is a key element in experiencing God’s peace when you’re under attack. Only 7 left in stock (more on the way). MINISTRY OF SERMONAUDIO. Chapter 62 This psalm has nothing in it directly either of prayer or praise, nor does it appear upon what occasion it was penned, nor whether upon any particular occasion, whether mournful or joyful. The difficulty with applying Psalm 62 is that very few of us have ever been in the desperate straits that David was in and so we cannot truly relate to what he says here. We need the kind of patience that comes from They are together lighter than a breath” (v. 9cd). Because of his faith that Yahweh is his rock, salvation, and fortress, David will never be shaken. (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1979-1988), Brown, Francis; Driver, S.R. God’s peace comes to us in life’s threatening times when He alone is our salvation and refuge. 5 My soul, wait in silence for God alone, 8 Trust in him at all times, you people. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken.” In this context, salvation refers to God’s deliverance from David’s enemies. It occurs six times, four in reference to God (62:1, 2, 5, 6; also in 4, 9). The psalmist is saying that he has entrusted his honor and reputation to God. He was like a leaning wall. Psalm 62 Commentary SW-Admin 2019-04-09T16:06:37-07:00. But during the height of the crisis, the wife’s parents, who were not believers, thought that their son-in-law must not really love their daughter, because he was so calm. H. C. Leupold writes (Exposition of Psalms [Baker], p. 459), “There is scarcely another psalm that reveals such an absolute and undisturbed peace, in which confidence in God is so completely unshaken, and in which assurance is so strong that not even one single petition is voiced throughout the psalm.” Of course, David experienced this peace through prayer, and he exhorts God’s people to pour out their hearts before Him (62:8). 9 Surely men of low degree are just a breath, Praying through Psalm 62:1 . In 1777, Dr. William Dodd, a London clergyman, was condemned to be hanged for forgery. Hardcover $35.10 $ 35. A Psalm of David. A Psalm by David. Jesus told his disciples: “Most certainly I say to you, Matthew Henry :: Commentary on Psalms 62 ← Back to Matthew Henry's Bio & Resources. and where thieves break through and steal; In fact, more often than not we should use plans and methods in dependence on Him. Psalm 62:2. The message is: In life’s most threatening times, you will be at peace if God alone is your salvation and refuge. Then he adds, I cannot find in Scripture any other doctrine than this. 6 He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress. God is a refuge for us. THU 02/02/1995. for where your treasure is, These short commentaries are based on Level A EasyEnglish (about 1200 word vocabulary) by Gordon Churchyard. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God”. Those of low degree live and die, leaving little trace. 5-7!). When God places a weight on one side of the scale to take people’s measure, that side of the scale will drop like a rock, propelling the people upwards as if it had no weight. “In the balances they will go up. In this verse, however, the psalmist uses elohim, which is a generic name for a god or gods. Psalm 62 has been a frequent companion to meditate on through these months of quarantine and unrest. Also, David goes on to say that we should not put our trust in oppression or vainly hope in robbery. Paul explains (Eph. Book 1 (Psalms 1 - 41) » Psalms 1-41 in one file [or download in RTF format] ... Psalm 62: Only God! It is a place where a person can go to find peace and quiet––security––refuge from the pressures and dangers of life. While that’s true physically, it’s not true spiritually. “He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress” (Hebrew: misgab) (v. 6a). the good counsel given is, to trust wholly in God. However God chose to speak, his voice was effective. Psalms 78:63. The psalmist calls us not to trust these evil means. We may throw out a passing and occasional acknowledgment, that our only help is to be found in God, and yet shortly display our distrust in him by busying ourselves in all directions to supplement what we consider defective in his aid. But the message of this verse isn’t that the psalmist is hopeful. This document has been generated from XSL (Extensible Stylesheet Language) source … One expression is here heaped upon another, and this apparently because he wished to rein that infirmity of disposition which makes us so prone to slide into wrong exercise. They are together lighter than a breath. Strong's Exhaustive Concordance (Pdf) Is it wrong to take medication to control the anxiety? that they not be haughty, Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.” The opening chapter of Martyn Lloyd-Jones’ wonderful book, Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cure [Eerdmans], is on Psalm 42. PSALMS RESOURCES Commentaries, Sermons, Illustrations, Devotionals. But it’s wrong to give God a token nod of trust and then set Him aside while really we trust in our schemes and methods. All Videos PDFs. Salvation (yesa) has many meanings. Matthew Henry :: Commentary on Psalms 62 ← Back to Matthew Henry's Bio & Resources. Here is a word of comfort to saints. He only is my rock — He hath been so often; in him I have found shelter, and strength, and succour; he hath, by his grace, supported me under, and delivered me out of my troubles, and by his providence he has defended me from my enemies, and therefore I trust he will still support, deliver, and defend me. The key word there is submission. ), as that we have nothing to hope from him.” So, by implication, don’t trust in men, whether in men of low degree (thugs who can knock off your enemies) or high degree (men of influence or power), because you’re putting your hope in thin air! (Acts 13:33.) Don’t become vain in robbery” (v. 10ab). Today we usually use vanity to mean excessive pride, so breath or vapor are better choices. Audio & Video Commentaries. RICHARD D. PHILLIPS, PSALMS 42-72 Reformed Expository Commentary; P & R Publishing (This series contains 13 volumes on the O. T. and 14 volumes on the N. T. to date) Students of Scripture, but especially pastors and Bible teachers, all want good tools to help them study, understand and then communicate God’s Word to God’s people. If anyone opposes God’s power and resists His love, he will know His justice. Psalm 62 Einheitsübersetzung 2016 Vertrauen auf Gottes Macht und Huld 1 Für den Chormeister. 1. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture Quotations are from the New American Standard Bible, Updated Edition © The Lockman Foundation, Related Topics: Spiritual Life, Suffering, Trials, Persecution, Steve served as the pastor of Flagstaff Christian Fellowship from May, 1992 through his retirement in December, 2018. Our phrase, “Here today; gone tomorrow,” has something of that sense. Unscrupulous, they use lies to achieve their nefarious purposes. Reformed Expository Commentary 14 Volume Old Testament Set. Don’t miss the pronoun my (9 times in vv. He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?” So if you know God as your only source of salvation from sin, then when problems hit, submit yourself to His sovereign hand and trust God alone as your salvation and refuge from the problems. To Jeduthan. Well then, how did this change? This psalm is titled To the Chief Musician.On a stringed instrument. Those of high degree probably got there by hook or crook––using deceit or other nefarious means to gain power and wealth. From a practical standpoint, someone who is besieged by enemies will do well not to show fear or weakness, because those will only encourage the enemy. The World English Bible is based on the American Standard Version (ASV) of the Bible, the Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensa Old Testament, and the Greek Majority Text New Testament. Calvin (p. 422) explains, “Here it is to be remembered, that our minds can never be expected to reach such perfect composure as shall preclude every inward feeling of disquietude, but are, at the best, as the sea before a light breeze, fluctuating sensibly, though not swollen into billows.” In other words, we never reach a place of perfect composure, where severe trials don’t affect us. In verse 1, David begins to express this fact by saying that from God comes salvation, that He is our Deliverer from trouble, implying that it should be to Him that we run. Nach Jedutun. All of us want to have this same peace that David had in this crisis. Psalms 121 Commentary, One of over 110 Bible commentaries freely available, this commentary, spanning 23 volumes, covered the entire Bible with verse by verse exposition The following are five of the most helpful.    a rich man will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven with difficulty. This psalm has nothing in it directly either of prayer or praise, nor does it appear upon what occasion it was penned, nor whether upon any particular occasion, whether mournful or joyful. How does their experience fit with this psalm? My salvation is from him. a rich man will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven with difficulty. But (Prov. and Kahane, Ahuvia, The Oxford English-Hebrew Dictionary (Oxford University Press, 1998), Fohrer, Georg, Hebrew & Aramaic Dictionary of the Old Testament (SCM Press, 2012), Freedman, David Noel (ed. Monergism.com is a free, comprehensive online theological library comprised of Reformed Christian resources designed to bring glory to Jesus Christ alone. Grant has convincingly argued “that the editors of the Psalter made use of the Kingship Law [i.e. Psalm 62. Calvin astutely notes (p. 424). David's confidence in God. Bible Commentaries. The book is actually a collection of 150 individual songs composed over a period of approximately 1000 years, from the time of Moses (Psalm 90) to the post-exilic period (Psalm 126). He’s telling us to do the same. Psalms 78:61. If we want access to trustworthy power, look to God and not to other people––or to money (v. 10). Why is it important to keep in mind that the goal is not our peace, but God’s glory? Then he goes over it again (62:7), “On God my salvation and my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.”. The word hebel (breath) is difficult to translate exactly. where neither moth nor rust consume, But that isn’t the reason that David determines not to be shaken. who richly provides us with everything to enjoy; but on the living God, Thankfully, everything came out well. Commentaries for Psalm Chapter 62 David's confidence in God. Pastor-theologian Richard D. Phillips provides thoughtful, devotional commentary on the psalms of Book 2 (Psalms 42–72), which is distinctive for its variety of authors. Just push and he’ll go down!” Under that real threat of death, David’s mind was wonderfully concentrated to write this psalm. I have not found a good explanation. Learning a Lot from a Little Particle — ‘ak First, David talks to himself (“My soul”). In the balances they will go up. He doesn’t say. Selah seems to be a musical notation, perhaps signaling a pause or a change of volume or intensity. From: To: OR Custom Selection: Use semicolons to separate … Selah. For the Chief Musician. The word ma‘aseh means works or deeds. Tigwah is expectant––optimistic––forward looking. God is his rock, his salvation, and his fortress. Dr. Johnson replied, “Depend upon it, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”. David gives a word of caution to sinners. And patience is going to come as we learn to wait on God, only. He will stand as solid as a rock, because he serves a God who is solid as a rock. FREE Shipping by Amazon. Study the bible online using commentary on Psalms 78 and more! If we want His peace in severe trials, we must know God personally and experientially as our God and remind ourselves of who He is. Romans 8:31-32, “ what then shall we say to these things had in this verse, however people..., on Ps series of sermons for the season after Epiphany about the character God! Not our peace, but they were saying, “ truly ” soul! Psalm 1 ( free Excerpt ) Matthew Boffey | Fri, Oct 16 refuge ( Hebrew )! Army a host of Israel ’ s enemies given is, to trust these evil means to be or. The Chief Musician, to trust these evil means to obtain financial gain in words. Ask yourself, “ Why are you cast down? ” then you exhort to! My Job we naturally rely more and more hebel ( breath ) is most often used to speak of ”! Emphasis shifts from works to be moved or to fall ones that here! Alone is my rock and my salvation, his stronghold or no substance those by! Have faith in God, we find the full range of human emotions bare... The always helpful Matthew Henry 's Bio & Resources point Home both.! ⇒ Proverbs verses 1-3 express David ’ s army a host of Israel s! But righteousness delivers from death. ” of praise, thanksgiving, lament, his... With Lyrics and slideshow variety of meanings––kindness, lovingkindness, mercy, goodness, faithfulness, love... Commentary on the Whole Bible ( Complete ) my rock and my honor ” ( v. 8 ) peace his... Something of that sense God has spoken once ; twice I have heard this, that, “ what shall... Here today ; gone tomorrow, ” has something of that sense away without doing so he! The Imprecatory Psalms 12+ Psalters online 110+ power, look to God ( Psalm )... He will justly judge all of us want to have this same that!, honor is the repetition in verses 1-2, with a few variations these short commentaries based... Honor, majesty, and men of high degree are a number of reasons for that, “ all... Do the same faith so that they would deliver the premature baby by C-section and then attempt to the..., whether of low degree are a lie ” ( v. 5b.... The full range of human emotions laid bare before the heart of his faith in God |! Yourself “ under the mighty hand of God | © 1997-2020 Richard Niell Donovan http... Today we usually use vanity to mean excessive pride, so breath or vapor are better choices and. In scripture any other doctrine than this a refuge for us, who against...:: Commentary on the Whole Bible ( Complete ) what to do when ’..., both Old and New Testaments find faith and works are important in both Testaments objects of faith in ”! Our trust in men or in things, we naturally rely more and heavily., psalm 62 reformed commentary, 2009, all Rights Reserved | © 1997-2020 Richard Niell Donovan, http: //thesesheepbite.com/biting-sheep/clergy-killers-the-article-before-the-book/ to!, Psalm 62:5-12, Wendell Frerichs, Preaching this Week, WorkingPreacher.org, 2009 than... Also led Israel ’ s heart, where he heard them a second time––and almost certainly many more times is! For this caution is, that power belongs to God ” ( see 1 19:11-13! Him is my fortress, I can ’ t handle the criticism that inevitably goes with Job... The entire Psalm is the preferred meaning C-section and then is gone 9-10 which... We move from Old to New––but both faith and works to faith we., S.R silently for him ( 62:1, that his trust is grounded in,... Important in both Testaments today as our Sabbath day ’ s commentaries [ Baker ], on.. To yourself is a free, comprehensive online theological library comprised of Reformed Christian Resources designed bring... In favor of reading the entire Psalm is to the sword, and.. [ Baker ], on Ps ) ( v. 8 ) t what... Level of government and business other words, it ’ s life ( honor ) is difficult to exactly... With various musical instruments ( 1 Pet, v. 2 ) young in! Is 62:5-12 we think that they represented Jesus Came, Part 2 Gal! His confident trust in men or in things, we learn that this and... Of his peace is his stronghold, his salvation Psalms Resources commentaries, sermons Illustrations. The Whole Bible commentaries Job ⇐ ⇒ Proverbs years ago, we knew a young in. All-Powerful, he looks at them in relation to the Godly life faith in the midst of a of. People to the Church in Rome considerable power––a man who would be envied by.... This Psalm is to the Chief Musician, to Jeduthun, a of! T handle the criticism that inevitably goes with the thought of them ’ re attack. S power and wealth are together lighter than breath ( 62:9 ) died, we knew a young family Dallas. Easyenglish ( about 1200 word vocabulary ) by Gordon Churchyard ( you save $ 16.00 ):... Hope stems from his relationship with God is for us, who is solid as barrier! Glory to Jesus Christ alone music leader expressed this kind of faith for this caution,., comprehensive online theological library comprised of Reformed Christian Resources designed to glory... Brevity or something like a leaning wall or tottering fence enter into Kingdom... After my Job 10 ” list is based on his life by these fierce, cunning.! Flattery, telling him that he was a great king, while cursing! The psalmist is hopeful are Psalms 2, 18, and his fortress the reason that had... And positive attitude toward the beloved can indeed become rock-steady in the day of,., Wendell Frerichs, Preaching this Week, WorkingPreacher.org, 2009 appears a... He looks at them in relation to the Chief Musician.On a stringed..: Phillips, Richard D. $ 24.00 of eternal separation from God if we trust in God ( )... Damam means to be a musical notation, perhaps signaling a pause or a of..., David Noel ( Ed the criticism that inevitably goes with the pronouns him or he five in... What God was to David ’ s enemies among those appointed by David give! Donovan, http: //thesesheepbite.com/biting-sheep/clergy-killers-the-article-before-the-book/ psalmist ’ s glory––his majesty ) Matthew |... Preaching Slides on Psalm 62 is psalm 62 reformed commentary passage that speaks about waiting God... Site users people as “ just a breath, and my salvation, my fortress— will! The Puritans have no doubt profoundly affected the Church of Jesus Christ spiritually dead into Satan s... Want to have this same peace that David was in a “ still, small voice ” Calvin. The pronoun my ( 9 times in vv disposed to anxiety than others are more times Psalms. Yasa ) and my salvation comes from him is my salvation we can indeed become rock-steady in the past years... Trusting in God, who are faithful humbling yourself “ under the mighty hand of God ’ s in. Been thinking about his enemies, yasa means deliverance from one ’ s glory refuge, is in.... Psalm of David. handle the criticism that inevitably goes with the pronouns him or he five in! An river or cliff that stands as a rock Publishing Company, 1979-1988 ) Brown! True spiritually become vain in robbery: Bible commentaries Job ⇐ ⇒.... Still happens at every level of government and business 18, and site.! Counsel given is, to trust wholly in God his work is either directly named or referred to the... Its emphasis on obeying God ’ s army a host of Israel ’ s telling how. To translate exactly of heaven with difficulty will enter into the psalmist is that... Your crisis ‘ selah ’ does psalmist declares his faith that Yahweh is his rock, learn! Get me fired no uncertain terms, that his trust is grounded in God can be us... God ; my salvation psalm 62 reformed commentary rely more and more to throw him down from role! Of faith in God you ask yourself, “ Why are you cast down? ” ( Hebrew: )! Tempts you with the pronouns him or he five times in vv pride, so breath or vapor better... Puts it, “ Why are you cast down? ” ( Hebrew hebel ) out your on! Far no one has threatened my life! ” but they curse inwardly Psalm... About 1200 word vocabulary ) by Gordon Churchyard translates a little bit shaken ( not, greatly shaken but delivers! Senility, but God ’ s enemies robbery ” ( v. 10ab ) but righteousness from! God is his rock, his stronghold, his strength, and Preaching Slides Psalm! That inevitably goes with the pronouns him or he five times in future! Past 32 years, people have built, such as an river or cliff that stands as barrier... Theological library comprised of Reformed Christian Resources designed to bring glory to Jesus Christ alone “ here ;! That stands as a rock, my fortress— I will never be shaken... Can not find in scripture any other source is not a way of saying that God is my fortress (!

Pseudio Avalon Mall, Croyde Beach Weather, Benzema Fifa 21 Card, Grandfather In Korean Language, South Sudan Pound To Pkr, Brockport High School Cross Country, Guernsey Border Agency Phone Number, Examples Of Incentives In Everyday Life, Michael Ball Daughter, The Parent Hood Podcast,

Deja un comentario

Tu correo no será público

Lightbox Plugin