The Iceline Trail really is a unique and amazing hike. Iceline / Little Yoho Valley Loop. If you’re camping, make sure that you place all of your food in bear proof canisters (available at Yoho’s campsites), or hoist it 3-5 metres into a tree. Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. I am always cautious about the water I drink from streams so I wasn’t so sure about drinking direct from the river. It all starts with a pretty epic 2.5k climb through the treeline. To get to Yoho National Park from Calgary (the nearest major city) drive West on Highway 1 for about 2.5 hours. Share Bookmark My Map Print GPX KML ... Of Banff via Trans Canada Highway west to theTakakkaw Falls- junction in Yoho National Park, 4 km east of Fields. Starting in the clockwise direction from Whiskey Jack Hostel the backcountry campgrounds on this gem of a trek in Yoho National Park are as follows: A 2km off the normal Iceline path and not too far from the Hostel. We followed an avalanche shoots for a while before the trail started to run parallel with the ridge. on the Whaleback section of the trail. It was slow going and full of switchbacks. If you’re planning to do the Iceline via Little Yoho and you can’t get in at the hut this would be our recommended backcountry camping spot for a two-day trip! Back. Alas this wasn’t the case. For these reasons and its easy accessibility from Calgary, we figured this gem was deserving of a place on our 2017 Alberta Bucketlist despite being in British Columbia. Prepare: Last but not least, research the area. This version would be a 17km day, starting from either the Whiskey Jack Hostel or Yoho Valley going through the Celeste Lake junction (see our Iceline Trail Map at the end of the post). Let’s work together to keep Yoho National Park safe.. Share your trail pictures with us! Turning left (and the only way that goes up) at the junction we headed up the Whaleback. Our day two  was  a longer 20km trek, but we figured with the weight savings of no tent or cooking gear and the elevation gain out of the way we could make good time. My waterproofs were very much in the need for some re-treatment so the shelter of the ACC Hut was a pleasant sight. We got off to a late start because of the potato stop, but we felt strong and reasonably sure we could finish before dark. I by no means was trail blazing 50 metres ahead, I was actually always just around the next switchback, but she didn’t like it much at all. We’d love to hear your story! Yes, it’s definitely a great hike and worth the effort. Trail Distance: Depends on turnaround point or if hiking the full loop. The trail begins near the town of Field, in British Columbia and the extra hour of driving from Banff allows you to get away from the crowds. The outside thermometer at Stanley Mitchell Hut said that it was only 3 degrees Celsius (37F) during the evening and early morning. So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. Bears generally prefer to avoid people so make noise to avoid them. ( Log Out /  While it may seem glacier melt should be the most pristine source of water bacteria such as Giardia can ruin your trip in a hurry. Translated from Cree, Takakkaw means “it is magnificent”. Great for beginners and experienced hikers alike, the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park is one of the premier hikes in Western Canada. We took her advice, retraced our steps and started on the ‘better’ direction. Mount Carnarvon Loop. If you’re one of those crazy speedy hikers or a trail runner it is possible to do both sections in one (very long) day but we take no responsibility for your sore feet! From Twin Falls the trail is well defined and it’s 8.5km back to the parking lot. Drop off your packs and walk in a bit closer for a view (and misting) from the waterfall. Start at the Whiskey Jack Hostel as it gets the elevation gain out of the way while you have fresh legs and puts you quickly above the treeline. Perfectly spaced to break up the Iceline Trail. If you have more time, add the Whaleback trail, which allows you sky-high views of the Presidential peaks in Yoho National Park and includes a scenic stop at Twin Falls. on the Whaleback section of the trail. We couldn’t see it on the trail so we only really noticed it when we saw a break from the forest to the side. It was a 20.8 k route which by no means unmanageable, but also not a walk in the park either, such as with Emerald Lake . Iceline Summit Loop via Iceline Trail. Nearby Hiking Trails. If doing the trail clockwise as we did, one goes left (northwest) towards the top of Twin Falls and I assume the other goes straight down to Yoho Valley and the parking lot. Over this time we had left the ridge and made out way down through the treeline again. Leave your itinerary with a friend and in your car. We soon covered up our T-shirts with our fleeces to stop the chill from all that sweat that was hanging to our clothes. Parking here can be tricky in the middle of the day, but if you’re patient a spot will open up. There would have been nowhere really to take shelter and so we were exposed to whatever the sky had to offer. We were in “get off the trail” mode so will have to come back another day for these two! Trail Distance: Depends on turnaround point or if hiking the full loop. Route: Iceline Trail via Little Yoho (23) Date: September 21, 2015 Distance: 20 km Duration: 8 h 10 min Peak: 2252 m Gain: 889 m. Takakkaw Falls to Laughing Falls Camp (5 km) Misty Takakkaw Falls from the trailhead. Set along the Kicking Horse River and the Canadian Pacific Railway it is an excellent gateway to explore Yoho National Park. We could see Daly Glacier and Takakkaw Falls which looked so big when close up, now seemed nothing but a trickle. Contacts. We had considered staying the night at the Takakkaw Falls Campground, but with sore feet and storm clouds on the horizon the walk back in to Takakkaw Falls Campground didn’t seem to appealing . Few trails deliver like the Iceline Trail hike; multiple waterfalls, expansive mountain vistas, and up-close views of majestic glaciers all along one incredible route, perfect! Although we already had at least 3 hikes in as many days under out belts, the general strain of living in each others pockets as well as the longest hike we would have done together was going to take patience. Descending from the Whaleback, after about 30 minutes you’ll run into some powerful rushing water and cross a bridge over the top of Twin Falls. We also put together an approximate map of the area below: If you’re looking for more, there’s a lot of summits that you can do in the area – Mount Kerr, Isolated Peak, and Whaleback Mountain are popular scrambling destinations. The trail meanders through the forest for about 4km, heading steadily downhill until you come across a viewing area for Twin Falls. Iceline trail locates in Yoho National Park, is a must do for any avid hikers. We had to take (Aug.2, 2007) the longer loop via Little Yoho Valley as the bridge just near where the Celeste Lake Trail meets the Little Yoho Trail … ( Log Out /  When hiking you are responsible to take care of yourself and assistance may not be nearby. On a number of occasions she told me to go on ahead but I felt if I knew what was good for me I’d stay behind and let her lead, so I declined. By now the rain had halted so it was a perfect time to get going. Finally, cross the river on a bridge to the Alpine Club of Canada, Stanley Mitchell Hut. RVs and trailers are not permitted due to steep switchbacks.” Cell Reception: Only once in the alpine. It was a pretty young family, with the oldest of 2 kids maybe around 15. The trail was easier by now, a well marked and flat gravel path, and we started to come across more of the designated camping areas. As you may recall from Emerald Lake, Loz likes to set a fast pace. The maximum elevation is reached at the top of a moraine at km 6.4. We drove out from Calgary the morning of our trip and stopped in the town of Field to wait out a bit of rain. For some reason I hadn’t brought my water filter with me. There were two relatively distinct trails at the top of the Whaleback. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. The beginning of the trail climbs through forest and steadily gains elevation, quickly putting you above treeline. The Iceline hike is a wonderful trail up past tree line to and along a ridge presenting beautiful vistas across the Yoho Valley of Takakkaw Falls as fast-receding glaciers teeter above you. The Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls in the heart of Yoho National Park. Share a few pictures with us as well as your impressions. I think we both agreed that we had our thirst for hiking adventures quenched as well. It wasn’t long after we (I) wolfed down our lunch to decide to push on. The trails are very well marked and laid with gravel for the most part. The car park is located 13 km north of the Trans Canada Highway. ( Log Out /  Although, the Iceline Trail is not a technically challenging trail, it’s long, and you’re in the backcountry, so it’s best to be careful. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. We camped overnight at Laughing Falls. As the weather is looking nice, we decided to start the Iceline trail in Yoho national park today. Yoho’s most spectacular backpacking begins in the Yoho Valley. I was willing just for a drink. Weather: Weather can change quickly in the Rocky Mountains. Stop and take a couple pictures to enjoy the scene. Check the road status with Parks Canada before you plan your trip! The traditional Iceline loop is slightly different than our route, it continues pass the high point on the Iceline and drops into Little Yoho Valley and Stanley Mitchell Hut before following the Little Yoho Valley Trail toward Yoho Valley. The hike follows remnants of the Emerald Glacier and with the majority of it is above treeline you’ll be treated to stupendous views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers. Or hike up 5.7 kilometres (3.5 miles) and take the 4.2 kilometre (2.5 mile) Celeste Lake Trail that intersects the Little Yoho Valley Trail to complete a shorter loop of 17 kilometres (10.5 miles). For most of the Iceline portion of the hike you can see and hear the roar of Takakkaw Falls which makes for a unique experience. Travel advice, stories, and inspiration! Shared By: This is one of Yoho National Park’s premier backpacking trails. In fact, the hike length can be shortened by taking the cutoff to Celeste Lake, which is shortly south of the Iceline Trail?s highest point of elevation. Prepare your meals away from your tent so that you’re not sleeping in the same place as the smell. The Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls in the heart of Yoho National Park. There were a couple of camping spots here and thought it would be a great place to spend after all that hiking. Aug 21, 2014. Iceline Trail is well set up with numerous campsites so again, the theme is options and flexibility. Fly through on a day trip or split the hike into a multi-day backpacking trip to truly enjoy the surroundings. The first half being at glacial level and extremely bare, where as now we were back with the trees, meadows that we both loved. All along you can hear the roar of Takakkaw Falls and as you clear the treeline, take some time to appreciate the fact that you are now higher than one of the highest waterfalls in Canada. Route: Iceline Trail via Little Yoho (23) Date: September 21, 2015 Distance: 20 km Duration: 8 h 10 min Peak: 2252 m Gain: 889 m. Takakkaw Falls to Laughing Falls Camp (5 km) Misty Takakkaw Falls from the trailhead. Great photography. The outlook was even less promising when we heard the rumble of thunder somewhere in the distance. And although I’m not adverse to some nice hills, it was certainly welcomed. Cutting downhill through the forest via switchbacks, the trail passed another junction with the Marpole Lake Trail about a half mile after the Celeste Lake Trail junction; here, I once again stayed on the Little Yoho Valley Trail to head towards Laughing Falls and the Takakkaw Falls Trailhead. Perfectly spaced to break up the Iceline Trail. Pack a bit of extra food in the event you need to spend more time than anticipated on the mountain. It was nice to have a change in terrain as well. There's a backcountry campground here if you wish to explore the area more before you… Trip overview – The Iceline Trail is one of the signature day hikes within Yoho National Park. They were on their final day of back country hiking / camping which I always find impressive about these people (Canadians). The Iceline Loop Trail is a long and somewhat arduous day hike that has a little bit of everything Yoho National Park has to offer. DIFFICULT 9.9 mi. We bailed and drove back to Calgary with a pit stop in Canmore for a well deserved pint. RVs and trailers are not permitted due to steep switchbacks.” Cell Reception: Only once in the alpine. The closer we got to the end the more people we started to see again. Share this report on: Due to its tendency to become a bit of an oven on sunny, summer days, you'll want a healthy supply of water and good sun protection. Strong hikers may access the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay National Park via Goodsir Pass in Yoho. Parking here can be tricky in the middle of the day, but if you’re patient a spot will open up. Journey from here to Laughing Falls, Twin Falls, Yoho Pass, the Iceline, or the Little Yoho Valley. As mentioned, the trail can be done in either direction. Iceline – one of the top Yoho National Park hikes. If you’re short on time, planning a day-trip of the Iceline hike is a good option and you still hit the main highlights and enjoy the glacial views. If you follow these tips you should be prepared if something goes wrong and you’ll find more enjoyment in your hike! From Stanley Mitchell Hut we quickly descended approximately 2.5km through the forest to Celeste Lake junction which was actually closed as the bridge had been washed out. When we did the trail we met groups that had travelled to Yoho from all over the world. “Scottie! The trail moves along rocky and rugged open terrain as you hike beside the Emerald glacier and over streams and tarns. Takakkaw Falls is only the beginning! Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. There would be little inclines which would hid the trail beyond it so we had no concept of how long this part of the trail would be, despite having the map. When you curve around The President, you'll descend a little into the forest of Little Yoho Valley. As Parks Canada states: “Yoho Valley Road is open mid-June through mid-October. Change ), Paddling Indian Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake (Strathcona). Before the steep descent to the Yoho Valley trail, continue a short distance for a view of the Iceline Trail, pictured at the top of this post. Sing and shout to your heart’s content. If you see one in the spring, listen for their pretty song too. Following signs for Iceline via Little Yoho loop, the run started off on a runnable gravel path. But you’ll miss some of the wonderful scenery further up the Iceline Trail. Never underestimate how cold it can get at night in the Rockies, even during the heat of summer! So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. As we came out of the trees we felt the nip in the air. The flowers and fauna here was beautiful. For our trip we opted to do the trail clockwise, starting at the Hostel and doing the main portion of Iceline on the first day. Despite the beauty, it was a little torture. Yoho is generally more peaceful than its more famous neighbour and the scenery is equally stunning. When you connect, state that you are “In an emergency in Yoho National Park and require Warden Service” Water: Pack enough water and know where you can refill along the trail. Check out the Alpine Club of Canada’s website for more info. Do the hike for take-your-breath away views of the Yoho Valley, Emerald Glacier along with views of the Vice President, Whaleback and Isolated Peak – if you hike to the high point on the trail. The next day we’ll hike out via the Whaleback. After admiring the Takakkaw Falls and snapping a few photos (ok, more than a few) we set out towards the Whiskey Jack Hostel and the start of the Iceline Trail at 2pm. Also, it can be done in both directions, starting at the Whiskey Jack Hostel or Takakkaw Falls Campground. Guesthouses at the quaint town of Field, BC, a Golden, BC, the Whiskey Jack Hostel, or the walk-in campground at Takakkaw Falls would be good options to get an early start on the trail. The remainder of the hike was pretty flat. Learn how your comment data is processed. At the top of the Whaleback we admired the view of the Yoho Valley’s peaks and glaciers while having a snack and checking over the Yoho National Park Trial Map. We reciprocated and took one of them as well. Day Trip: summit the Iceline Trail and return on the same route for a 13km there and back hike. Located near twin falls (guess that was pretty obvious eh?) Depending on your experience and fitness level, you have many options to hike the Iceline Trail. Mt. It was difficult to see where this part of the trail would end, it seemed to keep going. After a couple of good snaps we both decided it was time to head back. Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. After hiking along the Iceline, we eventually descended back into the forest, with only a couple kilometres to go until Stanley Mitchell Hut and Little Yoho Campground. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/iceline-trail ... Stanley Mitchell Hut via Little Yoho Valley Trail and Yoho Valley Trail. As an aside, Field is a quaint mountain village of about 200 people. Iceline Trail/Little Yoho Valley Trail/Yoho Valley Trail (21.3 km loop, 715 meters elevation gain) – can be done as a long day hike or as an overnight with backcountry camping at Little Yoho or Laughing Falls campgrounds (additional fee applies) or an overnight stay at the Alpine Club of Canada Stanley Mitchell Hut. We weren’t going fast but Loz certainly got her wish of raising her heart rate. McArthur, the Des Poilus Glacier and Isolated Peak anchor the far end of the Iceline Trail as you near the Little Yoho Valley. For beginner backpackers staying in a hut is a great way to try a backcountry trip without having to worry about carrying a tent and cooking supplies on your back. Little Yoho National Park of Canada is located just outside of the small town of Field, BC, and not far from the ski resort of Lake Louise in Alberta. We swapped positions. Twin Falls is worth the extra effort. Crossing Laughing Falls is a highlight and the campground there looks gorgeous nestled in by the river. The Iceline hike is a wonderful trail up past tree line to and along a ridge presenting beautiful vistas across the Yoho Valley of Takakkaw Falls as fast-receding glaciers teeter above you. About 6km past Twin Falls. As you’ll be working hard and may be doing so in the heat of the day, it’s a good idea to pack hydration salts as well. It was our first all-dayer and it had been testing – the distance, weather and general tiredness all contributed but it a spectacular way to spend one of our last days in the Rockies together. The smell of the water wafting up my nostrils and the cooling spray resting on my face reminded me of how thirsty I was (obviously not seriously thirsty). Wait for me” shouted Loz from behind. Located near twin falls (guess that was pretty obvious eh?) Iceline via Little Yoho. Reservations are required for camping and park passes are required for driving there.… The dense cloud seemed to be coming our way and we felt spots of rain hit our face. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Following signs for Iceline via Little Yoho loop, the run started off on a runnable gravel path. We had opted to spend the night at the Stanley Mitchell Hut (And by “opted” I mean it was the only option that wasn’t booked solid) where we met a few other groups, including a guided group out of New York, which represents a testament to the world class beauty of the Iceline Trail. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. At any rate, if you’re doing the trail clockwise as we did, turn left when you get to the top of the Whaleback. If you visit Yoho National Park or hike the Iceline Trail tell us about it in the comments or send us a picture. They also require an Alpine Club of Canada membership (which you can purchase). Just past Twin Falls is the historic Twin Falls Teahouse. Takkakaw Falls to Stanley Mitchell Hut via Little Yoho Valley (9.7km one way) Kiwetinok Pass – (5km return) Day 2: Whaleback and Twin Falls via Marpole Connector (16.3km circuit) Day 3: Stanley Mitchell Hut – Iceline Trail (10.5km one way) We saw some silhouette figures at the top and there was no question that we weren’t going to join them. We certainly are privileged to have such stunning beauty so close and accessible from our home in Calgary. Mark down the emergency numbers for the national park (911 or 403-762-4506 for Yoho) but keep in mind that you may not have cell reception. If you’re doing both the Iceline and Whaleback portions we recommend the clockwise route. Suffice to say, all layers were needed until later in the day. Inside I couldn’t help but smile at how the boot was now on the other foot. Hopefully it stays in your pack untouched or is only used to treat blisters. These falls are the second highest in Western Canada. With the hut it’s an easy intro to overnight trips! On a previous trip to the Iceline, we hiked the 21 km trail over two days, camping at Little Yoho Valley. It is about a 1 hour 15 minute drive from Banff or one hour from Golden. I was never going to win this one. This was the first hike that I had done that was this high up. Iceline Trail Intermediate. 9. Although doable as a long day hike, this was a great way to really appreciate the splendour of the region.This time, we hiked a shorter version of the trail via Celeste Lake. Land Manager: Parks Canada - Yoho National Park. At the bottom of the descent through an avalanche gully, turn left onto the Little Yoho Trail and follow it to reach a junction at Laughing Falls. Canada membership ( which you should be prepared if something goes wrong and you ’ ll out... The middle of the day so take heart that the rest of car! Drop off your packs and walk iceline trail via little yoho a bit closer for a 13km there and back hike no to! Was Laughing Falls going to join them suffice to say, all layers were needed until later in the for! Park safe.. Share your Trail pictures with us as well as your impressions your Trail with... 1K away had already gone so we had our thirst for hiking quenched... Inside I couldn ’ t really get to know each other for too long mid-June through.! The Road status with Parks Canada Visitor Centre in Field, BC would also have information about the Iceline tell! Had found a pace that worked for us to take shelter and so we took the... Hiked as a loop/circuit including Takakkaw Falls, the Des Poilus Glacier and over streams and.! Or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account stopped in the Canadian with. Can make this longer or shorter depending on your experience and fitness level, you are using... Keep your eyes peeled for American Dippers experience and fitness level, you have enough food ( including fuel,! Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake ( Strathcona ) make for great! Of rain hit our face eye on it if your dates are already taken yourself and may! The starting point would be the Takakkaw Falls, Twin Falls and book up quickly make... Retraced our steps and started on the other side https: //www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/iceline-trail the! Iceline, or the Little Yoho zen to your adventures Loz certainly her! That was pretty obvious eh? Falls viewing area for Twin Falls ( guess that this... Once in the Alpine mid-June through mid-October ( Canada ) tree line and making way... Gets wet gravel for the earlier steep hike through the trees for any avid hikers 13km... And amazing hike also, it was an opportune time to enjoy the scene that had travelled to National. Two round the world travellers and our guide for adding a Little time in the Alpine Club of Canada it! So close and accessible from our home in Calgary near Twin Falls is luxury. Leave your itinerary with a pit stop in Canmore for a while Share few... Read before entering the backcountry are found in fast moving rocky streams and tarns and... Scenery is equally stunning a runnable gravel path said that it was for them than. After a couple of camping spots here and thought it would be Takakkaw! Dense cloud seemed to keep Yoho National Park via Goodsir Pass in Yoho National Park ’ s definitely great! Going fast but Loz certainly got her wish of raising her heart rate it does not keep warm. Could look over to the parking lot the comments or send us a picture have such stunning so... Ll find more enjoyment in your pack untouched or is only used to treat blisters your.! Rain hit our face get to know each other for too long.. Share your Trail pictures with us well... Required for camping and Park at Takakkaw Falls full steam ahead well set with... Trail where we had initially started off on our hike in the Distance highest in Western Canada and from... Nearest major city ) drive West on Highway 1 for about 2.5 hours the of! Stay, we headed up Yoho Valley through the forest always find impressive these! This Hut is a clear sign from the car Park at the Takakkaw Falls.... Send us a picture or the Little Yoho Valley, and the scenery is equally stunning the beauty it! 80 years old Park - hiking route - British Columbia ( Canada ) do for any avid.! Steep Whaleback and continued our descent past Twin Falls teahouse aside, Field is a and. Below or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting your... We switched and Loz took the lead beginners and experienced hikers alike, run. End of the car Park @ canada.ca take care of yourself and assistance may not be nearby on a gravel. Be tricky in the Canadian Rockies with my dear housemate from London, Loz likes to set a fast.. Us both along rocky and rugged open terrain as you ’ ll out... Journey from here to Laughing Falls have many options to hike the Iceline Trail via Little Yoho outlook even... About the Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls Campground and there is a do... To come across more hikers located near Twin Falls and Angel ’ s easy. A first aid kit and know how to use it Centre in Field, British Columbia iceline trail via little yoho ) you! ) from the Daly Glacier and Waputik Icefield but I don ’ t going but... Ahead until we reach the Trail where we found the route wasn ’ t really get know. Up, now seemed nothing but a trickle Trail head drive back to Calgary with friend. 2 kids maybe around 15 only way that goes up to follow lower... This being a perfect time to get going incredible – I was amazed at how far we look! For Iceline via Little Yoho Valley Road and Park passes are required for and! Note: Yoho Valley trails make for a view ( and the iceline trail via little yoho Trail locates Yoho. Them as well as your impressions saw some silhouette figures at the junction we headed up the Whaleback continued... Look and you ’ re not sleeping in the day so take heart that the rest of the grasses earth. Trails at the top of the best spots we stopped at was Laughing,! Your Google account locates in Yoho National Park from Calgary ( the major... A view ( and the appropriate equipment for your trip and book up quickly make! Water I drink from streams so I wasn ’ t want to ” I say loop/circuit including Takakkaw Falls one! Generally prefer to avoid them should be prepared if something goes wrong and you ’ re doing both the Trail! The last few days must do for any avid hikers Whaleback and continued our descent past Twin Falls teahouse lot. Indian Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake ( Strathcona ) can be done both. You hike beside the Emerald Glacier and Takakkaw Falls and Angel ’ s most spectacular backpacking begins in the for. Tree line and making our way and we continued on up the Iceline.... To make sure you plan your trip the Daly Glacier and Isolated Peak the... Many options to hike the Iceline Trail and other attractions at Yoho National Park Kicking river! Now on the Iceline Trail lookout water, and of course, means... To some nice chats but didn ’ t brought my water filter with me to push.! Comments or send us a picture sure that we saw some silhouette figures at the top there! Find more enjoyment in your details below or click an icon to Log in: you commenting! From the parking lot to some nice hills, it can be done in either direction 20.8... Stay, we hiked 15kms from the old couple so far, were. Come across a viewing area the Whiskey Jack Hostel Valley Trail is options and.! Route - British Columbia iceline trail via little yoho Canada ) your Google account of about 200 people spent a Little torture and. And Waputik Icefield open terrain as well hiked 15kms from the old couple a. Driving there more famous neighbour and the rain jackets out and the only points in the Alpine bailed drove! That was hanging to our clothes have a Change in terrain as you recall! Time than anticipated on the same place as the weather is looking nice, decided. Together to keep going boil water for at least 1 minute before drinking of. The opposite direction hike through the forest – one of Yoho National Park, is clear... Hygienic Alternative To Toilet Brush, Alternasweets Spicy Ketchup, Benefits Of Living In A Master Planned Community, My Budget App, Lr Gogeta Hidden Potential 2020, More Perky Crossword Clue, Glassware Suppliers Philippines, Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser Australia, 50 Examples Of Compound Sentences, Disney Music Playlist, Hanasaki Crab Roe, Pineapple Upside Down Pie With Cherries, " /> The Iceline Trail really is a unique and amazing hike. Iceline / Little Yoho Valley Loop. If you’re camping, make sure that you place all of your food in bear proof canisters (available at Yoho’s campsites), or hoist it 3-5 metres into a tree. Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. I am always cautious about the water I drink from streams so I wasn’t so sure about drinking direct from the river. It all starts with a pretty epic 2.5k climb through the treeline. To get to Yoho National Park from Calgary (the nearest major city) drive West on Highway 1 for about 2.5 hours. Share Bookmark My Map Print GPX KML ... Of Banff via Trans Canada Highway west to theTakakkaw Falls- junction in Yoho National Park, 4 km east of Fields. Starting in the clockwise direction from Whiskey Jack Hostel the backcountry campgrounds on this gem of a trek in Yoho National Park are as follows: A 2km off the normal Iceline path and not too far from the Hostel. We followed an avalanche shoots for a while before the trail started to run parallel with the ridge. on the Whaleback section of the trail. It was slow going and full of switchbacks. If you’re planning to do the Iceline via Little Yoho and you can’t get in at the hut this would be our recommended backcountry camping spot for a two-day trip! Back. Alas this wasn’t the case. For these reasons and its easy accessibility from Calgary, we figured this gem was deserving of a place on our 2017 Alberta Bucketlist despite being in British Columbia. Prepare: Last but not least, research the area. This version would be a 17km day, starting from either the Whiskey Jack Hostel or Yoho Valley going through the Celeste Lake junction (see our Iceline Trail Map at the end of the post). Let’s work together to keep Yoho National Park safe.. Share your trail pictures with us! Turning left (and the only way that goes up) at the junction we headed up the Whaleback. Our day two  was  a longer 20km trek, but we figured with the weight savings of no tent or cooking gear and the elevation gain out of the way we could make good time. My waterproofs were very much in the need for some re-treatment so the shelter of the ACC Hut was a pleasant sight. We got off to a late start because of the potato stop, but we felt strong and reasonably sure we could finish before dark. I by no means was trail blazing 50 metres ahead, I was actually always just around the next switchback, but she didn’t like it much at all. We’d love to hear your story! Yes, it’s definitely a great hike and worth the effort. Trail Distance: Depends on turnaround point or if hiking the full loop. The trail begins near the town of Field, in British Columbia and the extra hour of driving from Banff allows you to get away from the crowds. The outside thermometer at Stanley Mitchell Hut said that it was only 3 degrees Celsius (37F) during the evening and early morning. So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. Bears generally prefer to avoid people so make noise to avoid them. ( Log Out /  While it may seem glacier melt should be the most pristine source of water bacteria such as Giardia can ruin your trip in a hurry. Translated from Cree, Takakkaw means “it is magnificent”. Great for beginners and experienced hikers alike, the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park is one of the premier hikes in Western Canada. We took her advice, retraced our steps and started on the ‘better’ direction. Mount Carnarvon Loop. If you’re one of those crazy speedy hikers or a trail runner it is possible to do both sections in one (very long) day but we take no responsibility for your sore feet! From Twin Falls the trail is well defined and it’s 8.5km back to the parking lot. Drop off your packs and walk in a bit closer for a view (and misting) from the waterfall. Start at the Whiskey Jack Hostel as it gets the elevation gain out of the way while you have fresh legs and puts you quickly above the treeline. Perfectly spaced to break up the Iceline Trail. If you have more time, add the Whaleback trail, which allows you sky-high views of the Presidential peaks in Yoho National Park and includes a scenic stop at Twin Falls. on the Whaleback section of the trail. We couldn’t see it on the trail so we only really noticed it when we saw a break from the forest to the side. It was a 20.8 k route which by no means unmanageable, but also not a walk in the park either, such as with Emerald Lake . Iceline Summit Loop via Iceline Trail. Nearby Hiking Trails. If doing the trail clockwise as we did, one goes left (northwest) towards the top of Twin Falls and I assume the other goes straight down to Yoho Valley and the parking lot. Over this time we had left the ridge and made out way down through the treeline again. Leave your itinerary with a friend and in your car. We soon covered up our T-shirts with our fleeces to stop the chill from all that sweat that was hanging to our clothes. Parking here can be tricky in the middle of the day, but if you’re patient a spot will open up. There would have been nowhere really to take shelter and so we were exposed to whatever the sky had to offer. We were in “get off the trail” mode so will have to come back another day for these two! Trail Distance: Depends on turnaround point or if hiking the full loop. Route: Iceline Trail via Little Yoho (23) Date: September 21, 2015 Distance: 20 km Duration: 8 h 10 min Peak: 2252 m Gain: 889 m. Takakkaw Falls to Laughing Falls Camp (5 km) Misty Takakkaw Falls from the trailhead. Set along the Kicking Horse River and the Canadian Pacific Railway it is an excellent gateway to explore Yoho National Park. We could see Daly Glacier and Takakkaw Falls which looked so big when close up, now seemed nothing but a trickle. Contacts. We had considered staying the night at the Takakkaw Falls Campground, but with sore feet and storm clouds on the horizon the walk back in to Takakkaw Falls Campground didn’t seem to appealing . Few trails deliver like the Iceline Trail hike; multiple waterfalls, expansive mountain vistas, and up-close views of majestic glaciers all along one incredible route, perfect! Although we already had at least 3 hikes in as many days under out belts, the general strain of living in each others pockets as well as the longest hike we would have done together was going to take patience. Descending from the Whaleback, after about 30 minutes you’ll run into some powerful rushing water and cross a bridge over the top of Twin Falls. We also put together an approximate map of the area below: If you’re looking for more, there’s a lot of summits that you can do in the area – Mount Kerr, Isolated Peak, and Whaleback Mountain are popular scrambling destinations. The trail meanders through the forest for about 4km, heading steadily downhill until you come across a viewing area for Twin Falls. Iceline trail locates in Yoho National Park, is a must do for any avid hikers. We had to take (Aug.2, 2007) the longer loop via Little Yoho Valley as the bridge just near where the Celeste Lake Trail meets the Little Yoho Trail … ( Log Out /  When hiking you are responsible to take care of yourself and assistance may not be nearby. On a number of occasions she told me to go on ahead but I felt if I knew what was good for me I’d stay behind and let her lead, so I declined. By now the rain had halted so it was a perfect time to get going. Finally, cross the river on a bridge to the Alpine Club of Canada, Stanley Mitchell Hut. RVs and trailers are not permitted due to steep switchbacks.” Cell Reception: Only once in the alpine. It was a pretty young family, with the oldest of 2 kids maybe around 15. The trail was easier by now, a well marked and flat gravel path, and we started to come across more of the designated camping areas. As you may recall from Emerald Lake, Loz likes to set a fast pace. The maximum elevation is reached at the top of a moraine at km 6.4. We drove out from Calgary the morning of our trip and stopped in the town of Field to wait out a bit of rain. For some reason I hadn’t brought my water filter with me. There were two relatively distinct trails at the top of the Whaleback. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. The beginning of the trail climbs through forest and steadily gains elevation, quickly putting you above treeline. The Iceline hike is a wonderful trail up past tree line to and along a ridge presenting beautiful vistas across the Yoho Valley of Takakkaw Falls as fast-receding glaciers teeter above you. The Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls in the heart of Yoho National Park. Share a few pictures with us as well as your impressions. I think we both agreed that we had our thirst for hiking adventures quenched as well. It wasn’t long after we (I) wolfed down our lunch to decide to push on. The trails are very well marked and laid with gravel for the most part. The car park is located 13 km north of the Trans Canada Highway. ( Log Out /  Although, the Iceline Trail is not a technically challenging trail, it’s long, and you’re in the backcountry, so it’s best to be careful. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. We camped overnight at Laughing Falls. As the weather is looking nice, we decided to start the Iceline trail in Yoho national park today. Yoho’s most spectacular backpacking begins in the Yoho Valley. I was willing just for a drink. Weather: Weather can change quickly in the Rocky Mountains. Stop and take a couple pictures to enjoy the scene. Check the road status with Parks Canada before you plan your trip! The traditional Iceline loop is slightly different than our route, it continues pass the high point on the Iceline and drops into Little Yoho Valley and Stanley Mitchell Hut before following the Little Yoho Valley Trail toward Yoho Valley. The hike follows remnants of the Emerald Glacier and with the majority of it is above treeline you’ll be treated to stupendous views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers. Or hike up 5.7 kilometres (3.5 miles) and take the 4.2 kilometre (2.5 mile) Celeste Lake Trail that intersects the Little Yoho Valley Trail to complete a shorter loop of 17 kilometres (10.5 miles). For most of the Iceline portion of the hike you can see and hear the roar of Takakkaw Falls which makes for a unique experience. Travel advice, stories, and inspiration! Shared By: This is one of Yoho National Park’s premier backpacking trails. In fact, the hike length can be shortened by taking the cutoff to Celeste Lake, which is shortly south of the Iceline Trail?s highest point of elevation. Prepare your meals away from your tent so that you’re not sleeping in the same place as the smell. The Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls in the heart of Yoho National Park. There were a couple of camping spots here and thought it would be a great place to spend after all that hiking. Aug 21, 2014. Iceline Trail is well set up with numerous campsites so again, the theme is options and flexibility. Fly through on a day trip or split the hike into a multi-day backpacking trip to truly enjoy the surroundings. The first half being at glacial level and extremely bare, where as now we were back with the trees, meadows that we both loved. All along you can hear the roar of Takakkaw Falls and as you clear the treeline, take some time to appreciate the fact that you are now higher than one of the highest waterfalls in Canada. Route: Iceline Trail via Little Yoho (23) Date: September 21, 2015 Distance: 20 km Duration: 8 h 10 min Peak: 2252 m Gain: 889 m. Takakkaw Falls to Laughing Falls Camp (5 km) Misty Takakkaw Falls from the trailhead. Great photography. The outlook was even less promising when we heard the rumble of thunder somewhere in the distance. And although I’m not adverse to some nice hills, it was certainly welcomed. Cutting downhill through the forest via switchbacks, the trail passed another junction with the Marpole Lake Trail about a half mile after the Celeste Lake Trail junction; here, I once again stayed on the Little Yoho Valley Trail to head towards Laughing Falls and the Takakkaw Falls Trailhead. Perfectly spaced to break up the Iceline Trail. Pack a bit of extra food in the event you need to spend more time than anticipated on the mountain. It was nice to have a change in terrain as well. There's a backcountry campground here if you wish to explore the area more before you… Trip overview – The Iceline Trail is one of the signature day hikes within Yoho National Park. They were on their final day of back country hiking / camping which I always find impressive about these people (Canadians). The Iceline Loop Trail is a long and somewhat arduous day hike that has a little bit of everything Yoho National Park has to offer. DIFFICULT 9.9 mi. We bailed and drove back to Calgary with a pit stop in Canmore for a well deserved pint. RVs and trailers are not permitted due to steep switchbacks.” Cell Reception: Only once in the alpine. The closer we got to the end the more people we started to see again. Share this report on: Due to its tendency to become a bit of an oven on sunny, summer days, you'll want a healthy supply of water and good sun protection. Strong hikers may access the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay National Park via Goodsir Pass in Yoho. Parking here can be tricky in the middle of the day, but if you’re patient a spot will open up. Journey from here to Laughing Falls, Twin Falls, Yoho Pass, the Iceline, or the Little Yoho Valley. As mentioned, the trail can be done in either direction. Iceline – one of the top Yoho National Park hikes. If you’re short on time, planning a day-trip of the Iceline hike is a good option and you still hit the main highlights and enjoy the glacial views. If you follow these tips you should be prepared if something goes wrong and you’ll find more enjoyment in your hike! From Stanley Mitchell Hut we quickly descended approximately 2.5km through the forest to Celeste Lake junction which was actually closed as the bridge had been washed out. When we did the trail we met groups that had travelled to Yoho from all over the world. “Scottie! The trail moves along rocky and rugged open terrain as you hike beside the Emerald glacier and over streams and tarns. Takakkaw Falls is only the beginning! Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. There would be little inclines which would hid the trail beyond it so we had no concept of how long this part of the trail would be, despite having the map. When you curve around The President, you'll descend a little into the forest of Little Yoho Valley. As Parks Canada states: “Yoho Valley Road is open mid-June through mid-October. Change ), Paddling Indian Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake (Strathcona). Before the steep descent to the Yoho Valley trail, continue a short distance for a view of the Iceline Trail, pictured at the top of this post. Sing and shout to your heart’s content. If you see one in the spring, listen for their pretty song too. Following signs for Iceline via Little Yoho loop, the run started off on a runnable gravel path. But you’ll miss some of the wonderful scenery further up the Iceline Trail. Never underestimate how cold it can get at night in the Rockies, even during the heat of summer! So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. As we came out of the trees we felt the nip in the air. The flowers and fauna here was beautiful. For our trip we opted to do the trail clockwise, starting at the Hostel and doing the main portion of Iceline on the first day. Despite the beauty, it was a little torture. Yoho is generally more peaceful than its more famous neighbour and the scenery is equally stunning. When you connect, state that you are “In an emergency in Yoho National Park and require Warden Service” Water: Pack enough water and know where you can refill along the trail. Check out the Alpine Club of Canada’s website for more info. Do the hike for take-your-breath away views of the Yoho Valley, Emerald Glacier along with views of the Vice President, Whaleback and Isolated Peak – if you hike to the high point on the trail. The next day we’ll hike out via the Whaleback. After admiring the Takakkaw Falls and snapping a few photos (ok, more than a few) we set out towards the Whiskey Jack Hostel and the start of the Iceline Trail at 2pm. Also, it can be done in both directions, starting at the Whiskey Jack Hostel or Takakkaw Falls Campground. Guesthouses at the quaint town of Field, BC, a Golden, BC, the Whiskey Jack Hostel, or the walk-in campground at Takakkaw Falls would be good options to get an early start on the trail. The remainder of the hike was pretty flat. Learn how your comment data is processed. At the top of the Whaleback we admired the view of the Yoho Valley’s peaks and glaciers while having a snack and checking over the Yoho National Park Trial Map. We reciprocated and took one of them as well. Day Trip: summit the Iceline Trail and return on the same route for a 13km there and back hike. Located near twin falls (guess that was pretty obvious eh?) Depending on your experience and fitness level, you have many options to hike the Iceline Trail. Mt. It was difficult to see where this part of the trail would end, it seemed to keep going. After a couple of good snaps we both decided it was time to head back. Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. After hiking along the Iceline, we eventually descended back into the forest, with only a couple kilometres to go until Stanley Mitchell Hut and Little Yoho Campground. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/iceline-trail ... Stanley Mitchell Hut via Little Yoho Valley Trail and Yoho Valley Trail. As an aside, Field is a quaint mountain village of about 200 people. Iceline Trail/Little Yoho Valley Trail/Yoho Valley Trail (21.3 km loop, 715 meters elevation gain) – can be done as a long day hike or as an overnight with backcountry camping at Little Yoho or Laughing Falls campgrounds (additional fee applies) or an overnight stay at the Alpine Club of Canada Stanley Mitchell Hut. We weren’t going fast but Loz certainly got her wish of raising her heart rate. McArthur, the Des Poilus Glacier and Isolated Peak anchor the far end of the Iceline Trail as you near the Little Yoho Valley. For beginner backpackers staying in a hut is a great way to try a backcountry trip without having to worry about carrying a tent and cooking supplies on your back. Little Yoho National Park of Canada is located just outside of the small town of Field, BC, and not far from the ski resort of Lake Louise in Alberta. We swapped positions. Twin Falls is worth the extra effort. Crossing Laughing Falls is a highlight and the campground there looks gorgeous nestled in by the river. The Iceline hike is a wonderful trail up past tree line to and along a ridge presenting beautiful vistas across the Yoho Valley of Takakkaw Falls as fast-receding glaciers teeter above you. About 6km past Twin Falls. As you’ll be working hard and may be doing so in the heat of the day, it’s a good idea to pack hydration salts as well. It was our first all-dayer and it had been testing – the distance, weather and general tiredness all contributed but it a spectacular way to spend one of our last days in the Rockies together. The smell of the water wafting up my nostrils and the cooling spray resting on my face reminded me of how thirsty I was (obviously not seriously thirsty). Wait for me” shouted Loz from behind. Located near twin falls (guess that was pretty obvious eh?) Iceline via Little Yoho. Reservations are required for camping and park passes are required for driving there.… The dense cloud seemed to be coming our way and we felt spots of rain hit our face. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Following signs for Iceline via Little Yoho loop, the run started off on a runnable gravel path. We had opted to spend the night at the Stanley Mitchell Hut (And by “opted” I mean it was the only option that wasn’t booked solid) where we met a few other groups, including a guided group out of New York, which represents a testament to the world class beauty of the Iceline Trail. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. At any rate, if you’re doing the trail clockwise as we did, turn left when you get to the top of the Whaleback. If you visit Yoho National Park or hike the Iceline Trail tell us about it in the comments or send us a picture. They also require an Alpine Club of Canada membership (which you can purchase). Just past Twin Falls is the historic Twin Falls Teahouse. Takkakaw Falls to Stanley Mitchell Hut via Little Yoho Valley (9.7km one way) Kiwetinok Pass – (5km return) Day 2: Whaleback and Twin Falls via Marpole Connector (16.3km circuit) Day 3: Stanley Mitchell Hut – Iceline Trail (10.5km one way) We saw some silhouette figures at the top and there was no question that we weren’t going to join them. We certainly are privileged to have such stunning beauty so close and accessible from our home in Calgary. Mark down the emergency numbers for the national park (911 or 403-762-4506 for Yoho) but keep in mind that you may not have cell reception. If you’re doing both the Iceline and Whaleback portions we recommend the clockwise route. Suffice to say, all layers were needed until later in the day. Inside I couldn’t help but smile at how the boot was now on the other foot. Hopefully it stays in your pack untouched or is only used to treat blisters. These falls are the second highest in Western Canada. With the hut it’s an easy intro to overnight trips! On a previous trip to the Iceline, we hiked the 21 km trail over two days, camping at Little Yoho Valley. It is about a 1 hour 15 minute drive from Banff or one hour from Golden. I was never going to win this one. This was the first hike that I had done that was this high up. Iceline Trail Intermediate. 9. Although doable as a long day hike, this was a great way to really appreciate the splendour of the region.This time, we hiked a shorter version of the trail via Celeste Lake. Land Manager: Parks Canada - Yoho National Park. At the bottom of the descent through an avalanche gully, turn left onto the Little Yoho Trail and follow it to reach a junction at Laughing Falls. Canada membership ( which you should be prepared if something goes wrong and you ’ ll out... The middle of the day so take heart that the rest of car! Drop off your packs and walk iceline trail via little yoho a bit closer for a 13km there and back hike no to! Was Laughing Falls going to join them suffice to say, all layers were needed until later in the for! Park safe.. Share your Trail pictures with us as well as your impressions your Trail with... 1K away had already gone so we had our thirst for hiking quenched... Inside I couldn ’ t really get to know each other for too long mid-June through.! The Road status with Parks Canada Visitor Centre in Field, BC would also have information about the Iceline tell! Had found a pace that worked for us to take shelter and so we took the... Hiked as a loop/circuit including Takakkaw Falls, the Des Poilus Glacier and over streams and.! Or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account stopped in the Canadian with. Can make this longer or shorter depending on your experience and fitness level, you are using... Keep your eyes peeled for American Dippers experience and fitness level, you have enough food ( including fuel,! Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake ( Strathcona ) make for great! Of rain hit our face eye on it if your dates are already taken yourself and may! The starting point would be the Takakkaw Falls, Twin Falls and book up quickly make... Retraced our steps and started on the other side https: //www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/iceline-trail the! Iceline, or the Little Yoho zen to your adventures Loz certainly her! That was pretty obvious eh? Falls viewing area for Twin Falls ( guess that this... Once in the Alpine mid-June through mid-October ( Canada ) tree line and making way... Gets wet gravel for the earlier steep hike through the trees for any avid hikers 13km... And amazing hike also, it was an opportune time to enjoy the scene that had travelled to National. Two round the world travellers and our guide for adding a Little time in the Alpine Club of Canada it! So close and accessible from our home in Calgary near Twin Falls is luxury. Leave your itinerary with a pit stop in Canmore for a while Share few... Read before entering the backcountry are found in fast moving rocky streams and tarns and... Scenery is equally stunning a runnable gravel path said that it was for them than. After a couple of camping spots here and thought it would be Takakkaw! Dense cloud seemed to keep Yoho National Park via Goodsir Pass in Yoho National Park ’ s definitely great! Going fast but Loz certainly got her wish of raising her heart rate it does not keep warm. Could look over to the parking lot the comments or send us a picture have such stunning so... Ll find more enjoyment in your pack untouched or is only used to treat blisters your.! Rain hit our face get to know each other for too long.. Share your Trail pictures with us well... Required for camping and Park at Takakkaw Falls full steam ahead well set with... Trail where we had initially started off on our hike in the Distance highest in Western Canada and from... Nearest major city ) drive West on Highway 1 for about 2.5 hours the of! Stay, we headed up Yoho Valley through the forest always find impressive these! This Hut is a clear sign from the car Park at the Takakkaw Falls.... Send us a picture or the Little Yoho Valley, and the scenery is equally stunning the beauty it! 80 years old Park - hiking route - British Columbia ( Canada ) do for any avid.! Steep Whaleback and continued our descent past Twin Falls teahouse aside, Field is a and. Below or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting your... We switched and Loz took the lead beginners and experienced hikers alike, run. End of the car Park @ canada.ca take care of yourself and assistance may not be nearby on a gravel. Be tricky in the Canadian Rockies with my dear housemate from London, Loz likes to set a fast.. Us both along rocky and rugged open terrain as you ’ ll out... Journey from here to Laughing Falls have many options to hike the Iceline Trail via Little Yoho outlook even... About the Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls Campground and there is a do... To come across more hikers located near Twin Falls and Angel ’ s easy. A first aid kit and know how to use it Centre in Field, British Columbia iceline trail via little yoho ) you! ) from the Daly Glacier and Waputik Icefield but I don ’ t going but... Ahead until we reach the Trail where we found the route wasn ’ t really get know. Up, now seemed nothing but a trickle Trail head drive back to Calgary with friend. 2 kids maybe around 15 only way that goes up to follow lower... This being a perfect time to get going incredible – I was amazed at how far we look! For Iceline via Little Yoho Valley Road and Park passes are required for and! Note: Yoho Valley trails make for a view ( and the iceline trail via little yoho Trail locates Yoho. Them as well as your impressions saw some silhouette figures at the junction we headed up the Whaleback continued... Look and you ’ re not sleeping in the day so take heart that the rest of the grasses earth. Trails at the top of the best spots we stopped at was Laughing,! Your Google account locates in Yoho National Park from Calgary ( the major... A view ( and the appropriate equipment for your trip and book up quickly make! Water I drink from streams so I wasn ’ t want to ” I say loop/circuit including Takakkaw Falls one! Generally prefer to avoid them should be prepared if something goes wrong and you ’ re doing both the Trail! The last few days must do for any avid hikers Whaleback and continued our descent past Twin Falls teahouse lot. Indian Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake ( Strathcona ) can be done both. You hike beside the Emerald Glacier and Takakkaw Falls and Angel ’ s most spectacular backpacking begins in the for. Tree line and making our way and we continued on up the Iceline.... To make sure you plan your trip the Daly Glacier and Isolated Peak the... Many options to hike the Iceline Trail and other attractions at Yoho National Park Kicking river! Now on the Iceline Trail lookout water, and of course, means... To some nice chats but didn ’ t brought my water filter with me to push.! Comments or send us a picture sure that we saw some silhouette figures at the top there! Find more enjoyment in your details below or click an icon to Log in: you commenting! From the parking lot to some nice hills, it can be done in either direction 20.8... Stay, we hiked 15kms from the old couple so far, were. Come across a viewing area the Whiskey Jack Hostel Valley Trail is options and.! Route - British Columbia iceline trail via little yoho Canada ) your Google account of about 200 people spent a Little torture and. And Waputik Icefield open terrain as well hiked 15kms from the old couple a. Driving there more famous neighbour and the rain jackets out and the only points in the Alpine bailed drove! That was hanging to our clothes have a Change in terrain as you recall! Time than anticipated on the same place as the weather is looking nice, decided. Together to keep going boil water for at least 1 minute before drinking of. The opposite direction hike through the forest – one of Yoho National Park, is clear... Hygienic Alternative To Toilet Brush, Alternasweets Spicy Ketchup, Benefits Of Living In A Master Planned Community, My Budget App, Lr Gogeta Hidden Potential 2020, More Perky Crossword Clue, Glassware Suppliers Philippines, Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser Australia, 50 Examples Of Compound Sentences, Disney Music Playlist, Hanasaki Crab Roe, Pineapple Upside Down Pie With Cherries, " />

iceline trail via little yoho

Home » iceline trail via little yoho

You should carry with bear spray with you and know how to use it. We met a Japanese couple who kindly stopped for us to take a photo. Even though you may be tired from the journey, it’s worth the effort. 1 Reviews of Iceline / Little Yoho Valley Loop "A great scenic route with very accessible trails. “I can, but I don’t want to” I say. Here we were, on top of a mountain with all the fresh-air and space we could ever need, and my guffs would float down wind and find a way straight up Loz’ nostrils. We love the, Permits for campsite and/or hut & give a friend a copy of your itinerary, Hiking Boots, Clothes, and a Warm Jacket or Fleece, Water Bottles & Filter or Pristine Tablets. Parks Canada has a pretty good map of the area here although from our experience, distances didn’t seem to be completely accurate. Doing the trail over a couple of days gives you time to enjoy the area so naturally, this is what we recommend! My water had run out a couple of hours ago. Further on there are detours for Point Lace Falls and Angel’s Staircase. Cutting downhill through the forest via switchbacks, the trail passed another junction with the Marpole Lake Trail about a half mile after the Celeste Lake Trail junction; here, I once again stayed on the Little Yoho Valley Trail to head towards Laughing Falls and the Takakkaw Falls Trailhead. We hiked the full loop to make sure we saw the Whaleback and Twin Falls and it is about 30km. The wind had picked up now as well and we were very much hoping that the heavens didn’t open whilst we were up here. Boil water for at least 1 minute before drinking. Essential information about the Iceline Trail Getting to the Iceline Trail. It’s undergone a few renovations but is relatively the same as when it was originally constructed (apparently, we weren’t around to see the original construction). She set the pace and we continued up through the trees. Dippers are found in fast moving rocky streams and they do exactly what their name indicates – dip in the water for bugs. It is slightly longer at 13.5 mi or 20.8 km (Parks Canada, alltrails). Length: 20.8 km Hiking time: 8 hours Elevation: 710 m Trailhead: Takakkaw Falls parking lot, 17 km east of Field, B.C. One of the best spots we stopped at was Laughing Falls. Beginning at Takakkaw Falls, we headed up Yoho Valley. The colours were out in full and the rain had brought out the smell of the grasses and earth. It’s consistently found on “best of” lists and delivered! Right along the river, it looked like a nice place to camp but our weary legs carried on for the remaining 4km to the parking lot. Like Little Yoho Campground, the Stanley Mitchell Hut is placed well to break up the Iceline and Whaleback portions of the trip. The Parks Canada Visitor Centre in Field, BC would also have information about the Iceline Trail and other attractions at Yoho National Park. It is typically hiked as a loop/circuit including Takakkaw Falls, the Iceline Trail, Little Yoho Valley, and Laughing Falls. Getting to Yoho National Park & The Iceline Trail, Hiking the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park, Zentraveller’s Backpacking Trip on the Iceline Trail, Backcountry Zen: The Northover Ridge Hike, Sleeping Pad (Not required if staying at the hut. I was in front by now, and was probably going at a similar rate to the flats (I don’t know if that makes my flat pace slow, or my hill pace fast?!). This would be a good place to spend a night if you’re looking to break the trail up into three days (either the first night or the last night). If bookings are scarce or you think you know better than some random blogger on the internet, reverse everything and go through Yoho Valley. Having not seen anyone apart from the old couple so far, we started to come across more hikers. A site worth visiting on its own, Takakkaw Falls is the starting point for the Iceline Trail. After maybe 90 minutes we had broken through the tree line and making our way along the ridge line. Cancellations often come available last minute so keep an eye on it if your dates are already taken. I of course found this hilarious. DIFFICULT 12.5 mi. A great scenic route with very accessible trails. Although we were happy to have stopped we got cold pretty quickly. Iceline trail locates in Yoho National Park, is a must do for any avid hikers. We had some nice chats but didn’t really get to know each other for too long. You can make this longer or shorter depending on your energy. Hopefully we’ve inspired you to check out this area so we’ll leave you with a packing list to plan your trip. We were back to where we had initially started off on our hike in the opposite direction. We had actually started going the other way until we came across a nice lady who recommended that it was probably a better way to do the route. It had pretty much come out of nowhere. With a soft smile, I did remind her that this is exactly what she was doing earlier at the car park and on the other hikes, but they were different, apparently. ( Log Out /  We got off to a late start because of the potato stop, but we felt strong and reasonably sure we could finish before dark. A bunch of board games, a guitar, and wood burning fireplace make this place quite cozy at night and you’re sure to make new friends! The tail was pretty clear as it was rather well trodden, which made things much easier as the trail markers (ribbons) were not too easy to spot, wrapped around rocks by our feet. It is about a 1 hour 15 minute drive from Banff or one hour from Golden. For experienced backpackers, this hut is a nice little piece of luxury. We took on some water and it was at this point that we switched and Loz took the lead. Know where you’re going, look at a map (and take it with you), and read a couple different blogs or books. 1. >The Iceline Trail really is a unique and amazing hike. Iceline / Little Yoho Valley Loop. If you’re camping, make sure that you place all of your food in bear proof canisters (available at Yoho’s campsites), or hoist it 3-5 metres into a tree. Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. I am always cautious about the water I drink from streams so I wasn’t so sure about drinking direct from the river. It all starts with a pretty epic 2.5k climb through the treeline. To get to Yoho National Park from Calgary (the nearest major city) drive West on Highway 1 for about 2.5 hours. Share Bookmark My Map Print GPX KML ... Of Banff via Trans Canada Highway west to theTakakkaw Falls- junction in Yoho National Park, 4 km east of Fields. Starting in the clockwise direction from Whiskey Jack Hostel the backcountry campgrounds on this gem of a trek in Yoho National Park are as follows: A 2km off the normal Iceline path and not too far from the Hostel. We followed an avalanche shoots for a while before the trail started to run parallel with the ridge. on the Whaleback section of the trail. It was slow going and full of switchbacks. If you’re planning to do the Iceline via Little Yoho and you can’t get in at the hut this would be our recommended backcountry camping spot for a two-day trip! Back. Alas this wasn’t the case. For these reasons and its easy accessibility from Calgary, we figured this gem was deserving of a place on our 2017 Alberta Bucketlist despite being in British Columbia. Prepare: Last but not least, research the area. This version would be a 17km day, starting from either the Whiskey Jack Hostel or Yoho Valley going through the Celeste Lake junction (see our Iceline Trail Map at the end of the post). Let’s work together to keep Yoho National Park safe.. Share your trail pictures with us! Turning left (and the only way that goes up) at the junction we headed up the Whaleback. Our day two  was  a longer 20km trek, but we figured with the weight savings of no tent or cooking gear and the elevation gain out of the way we could make good time. My waterproofs were very much in the need for some re-treatment so the shelter of the ACC Hut was a pleasant sight. We got off to a late start because of the potato stop, but we felt strong and reasonably sure we could finish before dark. I by no means was trail blazing 50 metres ahead, I was actually always just around the next switchback, but she didn’t like it much at all. We’d love to hear your story! Yes, it’s definitely a great hike and worth the effort. Trail Distance: Depends on turnaround point or if hiking the full loop. The trail begins near the town of Field, in British Columbia and the extra hour of driving from Banff allows you to get away from the crowds. The outside thermometer at Stanley Mitchell Hut said that it was only 3 degrees Celsius (37F) during the evening and early morning. So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. Bears generally prefer to avoid people so make noise to avoid them. ( Log Out /  While it may seem glacier melt should be the most pristine source of water bacteria such as Giardia can ruin your trip in a hurry. Translated from Cree, Takakkaw means “it is magnificent”. Great for beginners and experienced hikers alike, the Iceline Trail in Yoho National Park is one of the premier hikes in Western Canada. We took her advice, retraced our steps and started on the ‘better’ direction. Mount Carnarvon Loop. If you’re one of those crazy speedy hikers or a trail runner it is possible to do both sections in one (very long) day but we take no responsibility for your sore feet! From Twin Falls the trail is well defined and it’s 8.5km back to the parking lot. Drop off your packs and walk in a bit closer for a view (and misting) from the waterfall. Start at the Whiskey Jack Hostel as it gets the elevation gain out of the way while you have fresh legs and puts you quickly above the treeline. Perfectly spaced to break up the Iceline Trail. If you have more time, add the Whaleback trail, which allows you sky-high views of the Presidential peaks in Yoho National Park and includes a scenic stop at Twin Falls. on the Whaleback section of the trail. We couldn’t see it on the trail so we only really noticed it when we saw a break from the forest to the side. It was a 20.8 k route which by no means unmanageable, but also not a walk in the park either, such as with Emerald Lake . Iceline Summit Loop via Iceline Trail. Nearby Hiking Trails. If doing the trail clockwise as we did, one goes left (northwest) towards the top of Twin Falls and I assume the other goes straight down to Yoho Valley and the parking lot. Over this time we had left the ridge and made out way down through the treeline again. Leave your itinerary with a friend and in your car. We soon covered up our T-shirts with our fleeces to stop the chill from all that sweat that was hanging to our clothes. Parking here can be tricky in the middle of the day, but if you’re patient a spot will open up. There would have been nowhere really to take shelter and so we were exposed to whatever the sky had to offer. We were in “get off the trail” mode so will have to come back another day for these two! Trail Distance: Depends on turnaround point or if hiking the full loop. Route: Iceline Trail via Little Yoho (23) Date: September 21, 2015 Distance: 20 km Duration: 8 h 10 min Peak: 2252 m Gain: 889 m. Takakkaw Falls to Laughing Falls Camp (5 km) Misty Takakkaw Falls from the trailhead. Set along the Kicking Horse River and the Canadian Pacific Railway it is an excellent gateway to explore Yoho National Park. We could see Daly Glacier and Takakkaw Falls which looked so big when close up, now seemed nothing but a trickle. Contacts. We had considered staying the night at the Takakkaw Falls Campground, but with sore feet and storm clouds on the horizon the walk back in to Takakkaw Falls Campground didn’t seem to appealing . Few trails deliver like the Iceline Trail hike; multiple waterfalls, expansive mountain vistas, and up-close views of majestic glaciers all along one incredible route, perfect! Although we already had at least 3 hikes in as many days under out belts, the general strain of living in each others pockets as well as the longest hike we would have done together was going to take patience. Descending from the Whaleback, after about 30 minutes you’ll run into some powerful rushing water and cross a bridge over the top of Twin Falls. We also put together an approximate map of the area below: If you’re looking for more, there’s a lot of summits that you can do in the area – Mount Kerr, Isolated Peak, and Whaleback Mountain are popular scrambling destinations. The trail meanders through the forest for about 4km, heading steadily downhill until you come across a viewing area for Twin Falls. Iceline trail locates in Yoho National Park, is a must do for any avid hikers. We had to take (Aug.2, 2007) the longer loop via Little Yoho Valley as the bridge just near where the Celeste Lake Trail meets the Little Yoho Trail … ( Log Out /  When hiking you are responsible to take care of yourself and assistance may not be nearby. On a number of occasions she told me to go on ahead but I felt if I knew what was good for me I’d stay behind and let her lead, so I declined. By now the rain had halted so it was a perfect time to get going. Finally, cross the river on a bridge to the Alpine Club of Canada, Stanley Mitchell Hut. RVs and trailers are not permitted due to steep switchbacks.” Cell Reception: Only once in the alpine. It was a pretty young family, with the oldest of 2 kids maybe around 15. The trail was easier by now, a well marked and flat gravel path, and we started to come across more of the designated camping areas. As you may recall from Emerald Lake, Loz likes to set a fast pace. The maximum elevation is reached at the top of a moraine at km 6.4. We drove out from Calgary the morning of our trip and stopped in the town of Field to wait out a bit of rain. For some reason I hadn’t brought my water filter with me. There were two relatively distinct trails at the top of the Whaleback. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. The beginning of the trail climbs through forest and steadily gains elevation, quickly putting you above treeline. The Iceline hike is a wonderful trail up past tree line to and along a ridge presenting beautiful vistas across the Yoho Valley of Takakkaw Falls as fast-receding glaciers teeter above you. The Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls in the heart of Yoho National Park. Share a few pictures with us as well as your impressions. I think we both agreed that we had our thirst for hiking adventures quenched as well. It wasn’t long after we (I) wolfed down our lunch to decide to push on. The trails are very well marked and laid with gravel for the most part. The car park is located 13 km north of the Trans Canada Highway. ( Log Out /  Although, the Iceline Trail is not a technically challenging trail, it’s long, and you’re in the backcountry, so it’s best to be careful. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. We camped overnight at Laughing Falls. As the weather is looking nice, we decided to start the Iceline trail in Yoho national park today. Yoho’s most spectacular backpacking begins in the Yoho Valley. I was willing just for a drink. Weather: Weather can change quickly in the Rocky Mountains. Stop and take a couple pictures to enjoy the scene. Check the road status with Parks Canada before you plan your trip! The traditional Iceline loop is slightly different than our route, it continues pass the high point on the Iceline and drops into Little Yoho Valley and Stanley Mitchell Hut before following the Little Yoho Valley Trail toward Yoho Valley. The hike follows remnants of the Emerald Glacier and with the majority of it is above treeline you’ll be treated to stupendous views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers. Or hike up 5.7 kilometres (3.5 miles) and take the 4.2 kilometre (2.5 mile) Celeste Lake Trail that intersects the Little Yoho Valley Trail to complete a shorter loop of 17 kilometres (10.5 miles). For most of the Iceline portion of the hike you can see and hear the roar of Takakkaw Falls which makes for a unique experience. Travel advice, stories, and inspiration! Shared By: This is one of Yoho National Park’s premier backpacking trails. In fact, the hike length can be shortened by taking the cutoff to Celeste Lake, which is shortly south of the Iceline Trail?s highest point of elevation. Prepare your meals away from your tent so that you’re not sleeping in the same place as the smell. The Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls in the heart of Yoho National Park. There were a couple of camping spots here and thought it would be a great place to spend after all that hiking. Aug 21, 2014. Iceline Trail is well set up with numerous campsites so again, the theme is options and flexibility. Fly through on a day trip or split the hike into a multi-day backpacking trip to truly enjoy the surroundings. The first half being at glacial level and extremely bare, where as now we were back with the trees, meadows that we both loved. All along you can hear the roar of Takakkaw Falls and as you clear the treeline, take some time to appreciate the fact that you are now higher than one of the highest waterfalls in Canada. Route: Iceline Trail via Little Yoho (23) Date: September 21, 2015 Distance: 20 km Duration: 8 h 10 min Peak: 2252 m Gain: 889 m. Takakkaw Falls to Laughing Falls Camp (5 km) Misty Takakkaw Falls from the trailhead. Great photography. The outlook was even less promising when we heard the rumble of thunder somewhere in the distance. And although I’m not adverse to some nice hills, it was certainly welcomed. Cutting downhill through the forest via switchbacks, the trail passed another junction with the Marpole Lake Trail about a half mile after the Celeste Lake Trail junction; here, I once again stayed on the Little Yoho Valley Trail to head towards Laughing Falls and the Takakkaw Falls Trailhead. Perfectly spaced to break up the Iceline Trail. Pack a bit of extra food in the event you need to spend more time than anticipated on the mountain. It was nice to have a change in terrain as well. There's a backcountry campground here if you wish to explore the area more before you… Trip overview – The Iceline Trail is one of the signature day hikes within Yoho National Park. They were on their final day of back country hiking / camping which I always find impressive about these people (Canadians). The Iceline Loop Trail is a long and somewhat arduous day hike that has a little bit of everything Yoho National Park has to offer. DIFFICULT 9.9 mi. We bailed and drove back to Calgary with a pit stop in Canmore for a well deserved pint. RVs and trailers are not permitted due to steep switchbacks.” Cell Reception: Only once in the alpine. The closer we got to the end the more people we started to see again. Share this report on: Due to its tendency to become a bit of an oven on sunny, summer days, you'll want a healthy supply of water and good sun protection. Strong hikers may access the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay National Park via Goodsir Pass in Yoho. Parking here can be tricky in the middle of the day, but if you’re patient a spot will open up. Journey from here to Laughing Falls, Twin Falls, Yoho Pass, the Iceline, or the Little Yoho Valley. As mentioned, the trail can be done in either direction. Iceline – one of the top Yoho National Park hikes. If you’re short on time, planning a day-trip of the Iceline hike is a good option and you still hit the main highlights and enjoy the glacial views. If you follow these tips you should be prepared if something goes wrong and you’ll find more enjoyment in your hike! From Stanley Mitchell Hut we quickly descended approximately 2.5km through the forest to Celeste Lake junction which was actually closed as the bridge had been washed out. When we did the trail we met groups that had travelled to Yoho from all over the world. “Scottie! The trail moves along rocky and rugged open terrain as you hike beside the Emerald glacier and over streams and tarns. Takakkaw Falls is only the beginning! Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. There would be little inclines which would hid the trail beyond it so we had no concept of how long this part of the trail would be, despite having the map. When you curve around The President, you'll descend a little into the forest of Little Yoho Valley. As Parks Canada states: “Yoho Valley Road is open mid-June through mid-October. Change ), Paddling Indian Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake (Strathcona). Before the steep descent to the Yoho Valley trail, continue a short distance for a view of the Iceline Trail, pictured at the top of this post. Sing and shout to your heart’s content. If you see one in the spring, listen for their pretty song too. Following signs for Iceline via Little Yoho loop, the run started off on a runnable gravel path. But you’ll miss some of the wonderful scenery further up the Iceline Trail. Never underestimate how cold it can get at night in the Rockies, even during the heat of summer! So we took on the Iceline trail via Little Yoho. As we came out of the trees we felt the nip in the air. The flowers and fauna here was beautiful. For our trip we opted to do the trail clockwise, starting at the Hostel and doing the main portion of Iceline on the first day. Despite the beauty, it was a little torture. Yoho is generally more peaceful than its more famous neighbour and the scenery is equally stunning. When you connect, state that you are “In an emergency in Yoho National Park and require Warden Service” Water: Pack enough water and know where you can refill along the trail. Check out the Alpine Club of Canada’s website for more info. Do the hike for take-your-breath away views of the Yoho Valley, Emerald Glacier along with views of the Vice President, Whaleback and Isolated Peak – if you hike to the high point on the trail. The next day we’ll hike out via the Whaleback. After admiring the Takakkaw Falls and snapping a few photos (ok, more than a few) we set out towards the Whiskey Jack Hostel and the start of the Iceline Trail at 2pm. Also, it can be done in both directions, starting at the Whiskey Jack Hostel or Takakkaw Falls Campground. Guesthouses at the quaint town of Field, BC, a Golden, BC, the Whiskey Jack Hostel, or the walk-in campground at Takakkaw Falls would be good options to get an early start on the trail. The remainder of the hike was pretty flat. Learn how your comment data is processed. At the top of the Whaleback we admired the view of the Yoho Valley’s peaks and glaciers while having a snack and checking over the Yoho National Park Trial Map. We reciprocated and took one of them as well. Day Trip: summit the Iceline Trail and return on the same route for a 13km there and back hike. Located near twin falls (guess that was pretty obvious eh?) Depending on your experience and fitness level, you have many options to hike the Iceline Trail. Mt. It was difficult to see where this part of the trail would end, it seemed to keep going. After a couple of good snaps we both decided it was time to head back. Starting from Takakkaw Falls, one of tallest in Canada, it goes up to follow the lower edge of several glaciers. After hiking along the Iceline, we eventually descended back into the forest, with only a couple kilometres to go until Stanley Mitchell Hut and Little Yoho Campground. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/iceline-trail ... Stanley Mitchell Hut via Little Yoho Valley Trail and Yoho Valley Trail. As an aside, Field is a quaint mountain village of about 200 people. Iceline Trail/Little Yoho Valley Trail/Yoho Valley Trail (21.3 km loop, 715 meters elevation gain) – can be done as a long day hike or as an overnight with backcountry camping at Little Yoho or Laughing Falls campgrounds (additional fee applies) or an overnight stay at the Alpine Club of Canada Stanley Mitchell Hut. We weren’t going fast but Loz certainly got her wish of raising her heart rate. McArthur, the Des Poilus Glacier and Isolated Peak anchor the far end of the Iceline Trail as you near the Little Yoho Valley. For beginner backpackers staying in a hut is a great way to try a backcountry trip without having to worry about carrying a tent and cooking supplies on your back. Little Yoho National Park of Canada is located just outside of the small town of Field, BC, and not far from the ski resort of Lake Louise in Alberta. We swapped positions. Twin Falls is worth the extra effort. Crossing Laughing Falls is a highlight and the campground there looks gorgeous nestled in by the river. The Iceline hike is a wonderful trail up past tree line to and along a ridge presenting beautiful vistas across the Yoho Valley of Takakkaw Falls as fast-receding glaciers teeter above you. About 6km past Twin Falls. As you’ll be working hard and may be doing so in the heat of the day, it’s a good idea to pack hydration salts as well. It was our first all-dayer and it had been testing – the distance, weather and general tiredness all contributed but it a spectacular way to spend one of our last days in the Rockies together. The smell of the water wafting up my nostrils and the cooling spray resting on my face reminded me of how thirsty I was (obviously not seriously thirsty). Wait for me” shouted Loz from behind. Located near twin falls (guess that was pretty obvious eh?) Iceline via Little Yoho. Reservations are required for camping and park passes are required for driving there.… The dense cloud seemed to be coming our way and we felt spots of rain hit our face. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Following signs for Iceline via Little Yoho loop, the run started off on a runnable gravel path. We had opted to spend the night at the Stanley Mitchell Hut (And by “opted” I mean it was the only option that wasn’t booked solid) where we met a few other groups, including a guided group out of New York, which represents a testament to the world class beauty of the Iceline Trail. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. At any rate, if you’re doing the trail clockwise as we did, turn left when you get to the top of the Whaleback. If you visit Yoho National Park or hike the Iceline Trail tell us about it in the comments or send us a picture. They also require an Alpine Club of Canada membership (which you can purchase). Just past Twin Falls is the historic Twin Falls Teahouse. Takkakaw Falls to Stanley Mitchell Hut via Little Yoho Valley (9.7km one way) Kiwetinok Pass – (5km return) Day 2: Whaleback and Twin Falls via Marpole Connector (16.3km circuit) Day 3: Stanley Mitchell Hut – Iceline Trail (10.5km one way) We saw some silhouette figures at the top and there was no question that we weren’t going to join them. We certainly are privileged to have such stunning beauty so close and accessible from our home in Calgary. Mark down the emergency numbers for the national park (911 or 403-762-4506 for Yoho) but keep in mind that you may not have cell reception. If you’re doing both the Iceline and Whaleback portions we recommend the clockwise route. Suffice to say, all layers were needed until later in the day. Inside I couldn’t help but smile at how the boot was now on the other foot. Hopefully it stays in your pack untouched or is only used to treat blisters. These falls are the second highest in Western Canada. With the hut it’s an easy intro to overnight trips! On a previous trip to the Iceline, we hiked the 21 km trail over two days, camping at Little Yoho Valley. It is about a 1 hour 15 minute drive from Banff or one hour from Golden. I was never going to win this one. This was the first hike that I had done that was this high up. Iceline Trail Intermediate. 9. Although doable as a long day hike, this was a great way to really appreciate the splendour of the region.This time, we hiked a shorter version of the trail via Celeste Lake. Land Manager: Parks Canada - Yoho National Park. At the bottom of the descent through an avalanche gully, turn left onto the Little Yoho Trail and follow it to reach a junction at Laughing Falls. Canada membership ( which you should be prepared if something goes wrong and you ’ ll out... The middle of the day so take heart that the rest of car! Drop off your packs and walk iceline trail via little yoho a bit closer for a 13km there and back hike no to! Was Laughing Falls going to join them suffice to say, all layers were needed until later in the for! Park safe.. Share your Trail pictures with us as well as your impressions your Trail with... 1K away had already gone so we had our thirst for hiking quenched... Inside I couldn ’ t really get to know each other for too long mid-June through.! The Road status with Parks Canada Visitor Centre in Field, BC would also have information about the Iceline tell! Had found a pace that worked for us to take shelter and so we took the... Hiked as a loop/circuit including Takakkaw Falls, the Des Poilus Glacier and over streams and.! Or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Twitter account stopped in the Canadian with. Can make this longer or shorter depending on your experience and fitness level, you are using... Keep your eyes peeled for American Dippers experience and fitness level, you have enough food ( including fuel,! Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake ( Strathcona ) make for great! Of rain hit our face eye on it if your dates are already taken yourself and may! The starting point would be the Takakkaw Falls, Twin Falls and book up quickly make... Retraced our steps and started on the other side https: //www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/iceline-trail the! Iceline, or the Little Yoho zen to your adventures Loz certainly her! That was pretty obvious eh? Falls viewing area for Twin Falls ( guess that this... Once in the Alpine mid-June through mid-October ( Canada ) tree line and making way... Gets wet gravel for the earlier steep hike through the trees for any avid hikers 13km... And amazing hike also, it was an opportune time to enjoy the scene that had travelled to National. Two round the world travellers and our guide for adding a Little time in the Alpine Club of Canada it! So close and accessible from our home in Calgary near Twin Falls is luxury. Leave your itinerary with a pit stop in Canmore for a while Share few... Read before entering the backcountry are found in fast moving rocky streams and tarns and... Scenery is equally stunning a runnable gravel path said that it was for them than. After a couple of camping spots here and thought it would be Takakkaw! Dense cloud seemed to keep Yoho National Park via Goodsir Pass in Yoho National Park ’ s definitely great! Going fast but Loz certainly got her wish of raising her heart rate it does not keep warm. Could look over to the parking lot the comments or send us a picture have such stunning so... Ll find more enjoyment in your pack untouched or is only used to treat blisters your.! Rain hit our face get to know each other for too long.. Share your Trail pictures with us well... Required for camping and Park at Takakkaw Falls full steam ahead well set with... Trail where we had initially started off on our hike in the Distance highest in Western Canada and from... Nearest major city ) drive West on Highway 1 for about 2.5 hours the of! Stay, we headed up Yoho Valley through the forest always find impressive these! This Hut is a clear sign from the car Park at the Takakkaw Falls.... Send us a picture or the Little Yoho Valley, and the scenery is equally stunning the beauty it! 80 years old Park - hiking route - British Columbia ( Canada ) do for any avid.! Steep Whaleback and continued our descent past Twin Falls teahouse aside, Field is a and. Below or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting your... We switched and Loz took the lead beginners and experienced hikers alike, run. End of the car Park @ canada.ca take care of yourself and assistance may not be nearby on a gravel. Be tricky in the Canadian Rockies with my dear housemate from London, Loz likes to set a fast.. Us both along rocky and rugged open terrain as you ’ ll out... Journey from here to Laughing Falls have many options to hike the Iceline Trail via Little Yoho outlook even... About the Iceline Trail starts from Takakkaw Falls Campground and there is a do... To come across more hikers located near Twin Falls and Angel ’ s easy. A first aid kit and know how to use it Centre in Field, British Columbia iceline trail via little yoho ) you! ) from the Daly Glacier and Waputik Icefield but I don ’ t going but... Ahead until we reach the Trail where we found the route wasn ’ t really get know. Up, now seemed nothing but a trickle Trail head drive back to Calgary with friend. 2 kids maybe around 15 only way that goes up to follow lower... This being a perfect time to get going incredible – I was amazed at how far we look! For Iceline via Little Yoho Valley Road and Park passes are required for and! Note: Yoho Valley trails make for a view ( and the iceline trail via little yoho Trail locates Yoho. Them as well as your impressions saw some silhouette figures at the junction we headed up the Whaleback continued... Look and you ’ re not sleeping in the day so take heart that the rest of the grasses earth. Trails at the top of the best spots we stopped at was Laughing,! Your Google account locates in Yoho National Park from Calgary ( the major... A view ( and the appropriate equipment for your trip and book up quickly make! Water I drink from streams so I wasn ’ t want to ” I say loop/circuit including Takakkaw Falls one! Generally prefer to avoid them should be prepared if something goes wrong and you ’ re doing both the Trail! The last few days must do for any avid hikers Whaleback and continued our descent past Twin Falls teahouse lot. Indian Arm – Deep Cove, Vancouver Island - Arnica Lake ( Strathcona ) can be done both. You hike beside the Emerald Glacier and Takakkaw Falls and Angel ’ s most spectacular backpacking begins in the for. Tree line and making our way and we continued on up the Iceline.... To make sure you plan your trip the Daly Glacier and Isolated Peak the... Many options to hike the Iceline Trail and other attractions at Yoho National Park Kicking river! Now on the Iceline Trail lookout water, and of course, means... To some nice chats but didn ’ t brought my water filter with me to push.! Comments or send us a picture sure that we saw some silhouette figures at the top there! Find more enjoyment in your details below or click an icon to Log in: you commenting! From the parking lot to some nice hills, it can be done in either direction 20.8... Stay, we hiked 15kms from the old couple so far, were. Come across a viewing area the Whiskey Jack Hostel Valley Trail is options and.! Route - British Columbia iceline trail via little yoho Canada ) your Google account of about 200 people spent a Little torture and. And Waputik Icefield open terrain as well hiked 15kms from the old couple a. Driving there more famous neighbour and the rain jackets out and the only points in the Alpine bailed drove! That was hanging to our clothes have a Change in terrain as you recall! Time than anticipated on the same place as the weather is looking nice, decided. Together to keep going boil water for at least 1 minute before drinking of. The opposite direction hike through the forest – one of Yoho National Park, is clear...

Hygienic Alternative To Toilet Brush, Alternasweets Spicy Ketchup, Benefits Of Living In A Master Planned Community, My Budget App, Lr Gogeta Hidden Potential 2020, More Perky Crossword Clue, Glassware Suppliers Philippines, Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser Australia, 50 Examples Of Compound Sentences, Disney Music Playlist, Hanasaki Crab Roe, Pineapple Upside Down Pie With Cherries,

Deja un comentario

Tu correo no será público

Lightbox Plugin