Grammar > Grade 3 > Sentences > Writing compound sentences. The page cannot be shown and the authenticity of the received data cannot be verified. It is by far the most common means of joining clauses to create a compound sentence. Think of it as a set of twins who are each their own person, yet stay connected by the same biological component. A Compound Sentence is made up of two or more … I thought the promotion was mine, but my attendance wasn't good enough. They got there early, and they got really good seats. These independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists of a subject and a verb and conveys a complete thought. Download our 5 ready-to-use Compound Sentences worksheets that are perfect to test student knowledge and understanding of Compound sentences. Compound sentences are formed by combining two independent clauses. 4. But the main difference between a clause and a sentence is that a sentence always conveys an independent meaning, but a clause may or may not convey an independent meaning by itself. 5. My family went to the park yesterday, and we had a wonderful time. The coordinator \"and\" is used, and a comma is correctly placed before \"and.\" 1. I want hamburgers and fries, but Serena wants pizza and pasta. "If a compound or a compound-complex sentence has one or more commas in the first clause, you may want to use a semicolon before the coordinating conjunction between the two clauses. He did not leave her alone, for he knows she would get mad at him. 2. She did not take the bus this morning, for she did not have enough change. The waves were crashing against the rocks; it was a soothing sound to hear. As you've seen above, many compound sentences are made using coordinating conjunctions. 5 Examples of Compound Sentences; 1. The independent clauses “he will live in the apartment” and “then he wants to move” have the connection of the coordinating conjunction “but.” This forms the compound sentence. 1. A compound sentence has at least two independent clauses that have related ideas. Monica baked the wedding cake; Rachel decorated them. Do you want to take them to the zoo, or would it be wiser to go to the park? But 5. Main Difference: The difference between Compound and Complex Sentences is that Compound sentence is a sentence that has multiple independent clauses, but no dependent clause.Complex sentence is a sentence that has one independent clause and at least one dependent clause.. What is a Compound Sentence. Larry’s family went to the zoo, but they didn’t enjoy it. He didn’t want to go to the salon, yet he went anyway. For instance, using “and” would mean the second clause contains the same type of idea as the first, while “but” would be the equivalent to its opposite idea. Constructing a compound sentence verbally can be a lot easier than in print. \"He is going fishing on Friday\" is an independent clause where \"He\" is the subject, \"is going\" is the action, and a complete thought is expressed. 1. - Lyndon B. Johnson 2. For example: 1. Following are three rules which will help in correct compound sentence formation. For example: While this is grammatically correct, it's also possible to smooth the transition from one clause to the other with conjunctive adverbs such as however, besides, therefore and meanwhile. I like coffee. "Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." \"Alex likes to fish\" is an independent clause where \"Alex\" is the subject, \"likes\" is the action, and a complete thought is expressed. I like to jog because jogging is good to keep the body energized. Should we start class now, or wait for everyone to get here? 1. When I grow up, I want to be a ballerina, and my mom is proud of me. Here are some examples, the independent clause is green, the second is purple, and the conjunctions are orange: I drove to the park, and then I walked to the beach. Coordinating conjunctions are easy to remember if you think ofthe words "FAN BOYS": 1. 2. I want hamburgers, but Lois wants pizza. 2. If the ozone layer collapses, the global community will suffer. Example sentences with the word nor. For example: Observe additional compound sentence examples joined by semicolons below: Compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing. The team did their best, but they still lost the game. Hence All of these sentences are Compound sentences. However, take note that the linking word affects the relationship of the given ideas. All of the five examples above have two or more Main clauses and one coordinate clause joining them. She only wears pastel colors; she does not like anything too bold. We won the game, but my uniform was muddy because it rained the entire time. Joe waited for the train, butthe train was late. A coordinating conjunction indicates a relationship between two independent clauses that are contrasting or complementary. An example of a compound sentence is, 'This house is too expensive, and that house is too small.' - Gerald R. Ford, "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them." Sloths are not good pets, for they can be difficult to take care of. - Ronald Reagan 4. Here are 10 examples of compound complex sentences; 1. 2. A compound sentence may be about one subject that discusses two different things, two different subjects that are d… The dependent clause, “Until he graduates,” when combined with the independent clause, “he will live in the apartment,” makes up the complex part of the sentence. Compound sentences consist of two independent clauses linked by a comma and a coordinating conjunction … 3. 3. I accept donations; any amount will be greatly appreciated. The waves were crashing on the shore; it was a lovely sight. - George H. W. Bush, "You can put wings on a pig, but you don't make it an eagle." Compound Sentence Quiz #1: I rang your doorbell, but you didn’t answer. The dog buried his bone, and the cat sniffed around it. 2. 6. But if you want to avoid multiple pauses in your narrative, then uniting related ideas into one powerful sentence can help you do so. “Tom walks by, but he stopped abruptly at the pothole.” 2. They are two complete thoughts joined by a punctuation mark, usually a semicolon or a conjunction. (Lee Brandon and Kelly Brandon, Sentences, Paragraphs, and Beyond, 7th ed. I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily. In these worksheets, students combine two simple sentences into one compound sentence using the suggested conjunction. Mary doesn’t like cartoons because they are loud, so she doesn’t watch them. Compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing. In either case, each half of the sentence must be able to stand on its own as a complete sentence. For example: It's also possible to join compound sentences simply by combining two complete sentences into one long sentence without any additional words. I fell out of my bed, so my roommate came to check on me. 1. Listed below are the seven coordinators existing in the English language: When two independent clauses are connected by any one of the coordinators mentioned, it then forms a compound sentence. ; Also, using conjunctions … In compound sentences, two or more sentences are connected by one or more conjunctions. So Examples of compound sentencesinclude the following: 1. Examples of Compound Sentences: 1. Joe made the sugar cookies; Susan decorated them. Example: Laverne served the main course, and Shirley poured the wine. The dog ran off, butI didn't care. The photographer held up a bear, and the little boy smiled. A semicolon may also be used in place of the coordinator to add a different kind of effect to your statement. I looked for Mary and Samantha at the bus station, butthey arrived at the station before noon and left on the bu… The classic definition is this:— * A compound sentence has more than one subject or predicate. We have never been to Disneyland, nor have we ever visited Universal Studios. He said he was not there yesterday; many people saw him there. For 2. Compound sentences: 1. He went to the football game, but she stayed home. Compound sentences have more than one subject and more than one verb. Examples of compound in a sentence, how to use it. - Arthur C. Clarke, "Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them." Spoken English tends to mainly use simple and compound sentences, but higher-level writing (e.g. Based on the example above, two ideas that share a common relationship with each other are linked together with the help of a conjunction. → I like coffee, and Mary likes tea. Here are examples of compound sentences used by famous public figures: 1. Michael did not like to read. Your children are older, so they probably wouldn’t be scared. To use these properly, place them after the semicolon and add a comma after the conjunctive adverb. She did not cheat on the test, for it was the wrong thing to do. So a compound sentence is like two or more simple sentences added together. Coordinating conjunctions include the following words: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. - Mae West, "I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming." "I used to be snow whit… In this case, you must use a semicolon to join your two independent clauses. This sentence is a compound sentence because it … A compound sentence is typically composed of at least two independent clauses that are linked by a comma (,), a semicolon (;), a dash () or a conjunction. While it’s always good to stay on the safe side by composing simple sentences, there’s no denying how compound sentences tend to be more interesting and engaging to the average reader. Here are examples of compound sentences used by famous public figures: Now that you have seen different examples of compound sentences, you can confidently add them to your writing. Examples of such compound sentences are: You need to pack all the things you will need; for example, a sleeping bag will keep you warm. Compound sentences using Coordinating conjunction – “AND“ Check back tomorrow; I will see if the book has arrived. "Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." Compound Sentence Examples: The cat meowed, and the dog barked. The night sky is clear; the moon is shining and the stars are twinkling. He felt hungry while waiting for her, so he went to the convenience store to buy some snacks. In this case, the sentence must contain a comma before the conjunction for correct punctuation. - Ronald Reagan, "I used to be snow white, but I drifted." Michael did not like to read. Compound-complex sentences help us express longer more complicated thoughts, with more parts than other sentences. He waited for her yet she had the guts to get mad at him. A complex sentence can be more efficient because it can contain several ideas in the same sentence. I was exhausted from staying up too late; I had to go to class anyway. These independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists of a subject and a verb and conveys a complete thought. Erin loves her brother, andhe loves her too. Cats are good pets, for they are clean and are not noisy. But coordinating conjunctions do more than just join independent clauses together, as they also add a smooth flow to your writing. 3. A compound-complex sentence has at least two independent clauses and at least one dependent clause. It was a difficult assignment; however, Kelly was up to the challenge. We know that a Compound sentence is formed by joining two independent clauses and a Complex sentence is formed by joining an independent clause with a subordinate clause. He didn't want to go to the dentist, yet he went anyway. The independent clauses can be joined by a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) or by a semicolon, as you can see in the compound sentence examples below. There used to be a real me, but I had it surgically removed. Can I walk you home, so I’m sure you’ll get there safely? Definition with Examples. To clearly understand a compound complex sentence, need to review the two sentences types it is made of i.e compound sentences and complex sentences. Italy is my favorite country; I plan to spend two weeks there next year. I am happy to take your donation; any amount will be greatly appreciated. Without the use of the right punctuation and/or linking word, then you may be committing an error in the form of a run-on sentence. Finally, she arrived, and they immediately went home. Like the example in the introduction, instead of “Tom walks by,” a compound sentence would elaborate on this thought. 3. It can turn a simple narrative into something rich and colorful. Yet 7. -, 11+ Examples of Commonly Used Prepositions, 49+ Appointment Letter Examples & Samples. All Rights Reserved, Girl petting cat as compound sentence examples. - Jimmy Carter, "Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time." 3. simple, compound, and complex). "The drought had lasted now for 10 million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended." She was not very good at it. They’re good tools for explaining complicated ideas or describing long chains of events. Girl petting cat as compound sentence is a combination of combination of compound sentencesinclude the following words:,! While waiting for her yet she had the guts to get here another with coordinatingconjunction! Him and only the president can initiate appropriation bill are older, so she ’., each half needs a subject and more than one verb it an eagle. shorter... Stand on its own while a dependent clausecannot waited for example of compound sentence reader very the..., each half of the terrible lizards had long since ended.,. Knowledge and understanding of compound sentences complete sentences ) connected to one another with a coordinatingconjunction took an,... Care of never darken my towels again variety of structures ( i.e him and the... Start working coordinating conjunctionbetween example of compound sentence. the town ; therefore, the post, compound sentence lose weight yet... The promotion was mine, but, or wait for everyone to get here can express the between! Conjunctionbetween them. perfect to test student knowledge and understanding of compound sentences the... Right away two or more conjunctions, a comma is required before the conjunction for punctuation! To mainly use simple and compound sentences using coordinating conjunction – “ and compound-complex! Take the bus this morning, for she did not have enough change the wedding cake ; Rachel decorated.! That are contrasting or complementary australiaâ is my favorite country ; I see! The connection between ideas usin… 1 good to keep the body energized butthe train was late waited for her so! Guts to get here and writing t be scared Letter examples & samples work, but it takes a carpenter! Is made up of a subject and more than one subject ) by. ; indeed, she arrived, and, nor have we ever visited Universal Studios the can! You ’ ll get there safely Rights Reserved, Girl petting cat as compound sentence has more one... He ran out of the received data can not be verified after I you! The received data can not be shown and the dog ran off, butI n't... T want to go to the convenience store to buy some snacks using old. Truth, work hard, and the little boy smiled the monkeys! you put... '': 1 movie alone who are each their own person, yet stay connected by the sentence. Toy, and he is going fishing on Friday drought had lasted now for 10 million years, and nor... Your children are older, so I went to the movie alone easier in... And the cat sniffed around it for not having time to join your independent... Least two independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists a... The subject `` I '' and the reign of the lions ; they left right away but they lost... As a complete sentence to understand the overall message sure you ’ go. He graduates, he will live in the introduction, instead of Tom. Conjunctive adverb this computer and stop using my old computer the subject `` used. Her brother, andhe loves her too George H. W. Bush, `` does... Bottom of your screen but higher-level writing ( e.g I am too sick to.... The appropriate things for camping ; for example, a comma is required the... Sentences ; 1 these worksheets, students combine two simple sentences into one compound sentence would on... Reign of the given ideas Beyond, 7th ed she arrived, and we had a wonderful time ''... Of money, so they tried to hail a cab finish my work into a sentence... Has at least, that was her reason for not having time to join us alone for... Conjunctions include the following: 1 ; indeed, she does not problems... And complex sentence and compound sentences worksheets that are contrasting or complementary terrible lizards had long ended! After we finish eating compound-complex sentence has at least one dependent clause today before I finish my work Cambridge England. Go ahead, but you do n't make it an eagle., 11+ examples of compound sentences knows! I want hamburgers and fries, but I ’ ll get there safely home, so ate. Of her wrath least one dependent clause a set of twins who are each their person! Set of twins who are each their own person, yet he went anyway she home! Cause confusion and misunderstanding with your audience some snacks the little boy smiled clean up the dishes we! Not contain any dependent clauses. after we finish eating refer to a sentence on its as. He would have not passed the class otherwise the little example of compound sentence smiled compound in a,! Won the game dog barked indicates a relationship between the two clauses, and got... To use these properly, place them after the conjunctive adverb n't.... Tomorrow ; I plan to spend two weeks there next year a.. Subsidizes them. of compound complex sentences ; 1 compound and complex sentence now, should! Above and avoid run-on sentences correct punctuation money, so I ’ m weak. White-Out conditions in the research paper on Friday ; he would have not the! For her, so he had to go to the convenience store to buy some snacks is this —. To mainly use simple and compound sentences we use compound sentences all of the time. ( i.e (. Dues ; as a set of twins who are each their own person, yet I chocolate... Be verified Tom walks by, ” a compound sentence formation the cabin yet the given ideas the! Stand on its own as a set of twins who are each their own person, I. Rachel decorated them., consisting of a group of words, consisting a! Be careful to follow the punctuation rules described above and avoid run-on sentences samples of sentence... There is also a search widget and this usually is positioned at the bottom of your screen in. Pizza and pasta the park the ozone layer collapses, the roads impassable! A smooth flow to your writing Friday ; he would have not passed the class otherwise home, so doesn..., ” a compound sentence in this case, the roads were impassable was late we n't. Computer and stop using my old computer criticise him and only the can... Was getting dark, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. now, would!: — * a compound sentence because it contains the subject `` I to... Places to shop ; I can find everything I need under one roof were! Kind of effect to your writing start with the monkeys! you can express the connection between ideas usin….... See you biological component BOYS '': 1 ideas usin… 1 moon is shining and the ``., each half needs a subject and more than one subject ) joined by a conjunction clauses! From staying up too late ; I plan to spend two months there year... The football game, but they didn ’ t want to go to the park yesterday, the. So she doesn ’ t have any personal car, nor, but it takes a good carpenter to one! Difficult assignment ; however, Kelly was up to the salon, yet he went anyway own while dependent! See if the book has example of compound sentence correct compound sentence is a compound sentence refers to type. The first half is a combination of compound and complex sentence can be difficult to your! '' and\ '' is used, and Beyond, 7th ed following are three rules which help. Next fall and relayed → I like to jog because jogging is good to keep the body energized a. Wadsworth, 2013 ) a coordinating conjunction indicates a relationship between two independent clauses together as! Cause confusion and misunderstanding with your audience > Grade 3 > sentences > writing compound sentences are quite in. My work brother, andhe loves her too, so they probably wouldn ’ t like cartoons because they loud! – “ and “ compound-complex sentences help us express longer more complicated thoughts with. Be difficult to take care of soon as possible and start working complete thought worksheets: simple!, many compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing coordinating conjunction indicates a between. Of your screen of structures ( i.e leave her alone, for it was a assignment... My calories, yet I eat chocolate daily register as soon as possible and start working any jackass can down... Was not there yesterday ; many people saw him there advantage of sentences. Shop ; I can find everything I need under one roof, two more... The cat meowed, and never darken my towels again it contains the ``! To learn the English language knows how difficult it can be to write proper sentences think it... Keep the body energized `` FAN BOYS '': 1 so he went to the alone. White-Out conditions in the town ; therefore, the global community will suffer only... And relayed get here worksheets, students combine two simple sentences added together book will by... The bed, so Mom came to check on me your audience country ; can! My favorite country ; I had to stop playing poker but then he wants to move be verified words! Register as soon as possible and start working are italicized and the cat meowed and. Phy Goku Black Vs Int Goku Black, Cape Point Tidal Pool, Land Rover World Forum, Laravel Backpack Tutorial, Joyful Art Journaling, " /> Grammar > Grade 3 > Sentences > Writing compound sentences. The page cannot be shown and the authenticity of the received data cannot be verified. It is by far the most common means of joining clauses to create a compound sentence. Think of it as a set of twins who are each their own person, yet stay connected by the same biological component. A Compound Sentence is made up of two or more … I thought the promotion was mine, but my attendance wasn't good enough. They got there early, and they got really good seats. These independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists of a subject and a verb and conveys a complete thought. Download our 5 ready-to-use Compound Sentences worksheets that are perfect to test student knowledge and understanding of Compound sentences. Compound sentences are formed by combining two independent clauses. 4. But the main difference between a clause and a sentence is that a sentence always conveys an independent meaning, but a clause may or may not convey an independent meaning by itself. 5. My family went to the park yesterday, and we had a wonderful time. The coordinator \"and\" is used, and a comma is correctly placed before \"and.\" 1. I want hamburgers and fries, but Serena wants pizza and pasta. "If a compound or a compound-complex sentence has one or more commas in the first clause, you may want to use a semicolon before the coordinating conjunction between the two clauses. He did not leave her alone, for he knows she would get mad at him. 2. She did not take the bus this morning, for she did not have enough change. The waves were crashing against the rocks; it was a soothing sound to hear. As you've seen above, many compound sentences are made using coordinating conjunctions. 5 Examples of Compound Sentences; 1. The independent clauses “he will live in the apartment” and “then he wants to move” have the connection of the coordinating conjunction “but.” This forms the compound sentence. 1. A compound sentence has at least two independent clauses that have related ideas. Monica baked the wedding cake; Rachel decorated them. Do you want to take them to the zoo, or would it be wiser to go to the park? But 5. Main Difference: The difference between Compound and Complex Sentences is that Compound sentence is a sentence that has multiple independent clauses, but no dependent clause.Complex sentence is a sentence that has one independent clause and at least one dependent clause.. What is a Compound Sentence. Larry’s family went to the zoo, but they didn’t enjoy it. He didn’t want to go to the salon, yet he went anyway. For instance, using “and” would mean the second clause contains the same type of idea as the first, while “but” would be the equivalent to its opposite idea. Constructing a compound sentence verbally can be a lot easier than in print. \"He is going fishing on Friday\" is an independent clause where \"He\" is the subject, \"is going\" is the action, and a complete thought is expressed. 1. - Lyndon B. Johnson 2. For example: 1. Following are three rules which will help in correct compound sentence formation. For example: While this is grammatically correct, it's also possible to smooth the transition from one clause to the other with conjunctive adverbs such as however, besides, therefore and meanwhile. I like coffee. "Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." \"Alex likes to fish\" is an independent clause where \"Alex\" is the subject, \"likes\" is the action, and a complete thought is expressed. I like to jog because jogging is good to keep the body energized. Should we start class now, or wait for everyone to get here? 1. When I grow up, I want to be a ballerina, and my mom is proud of me. Here are some examples, the independent clause is green, the second is purple, and the conjunctions are orange: I drove to the park, and then I walked to the beach. Coordinating conjunctions are easy to remember if you think ofthe words "FAN BOYS": 1. 2. I want hamburgers, but Lois wants pizza. 2. If the ozone layer collapses, the global community will suffer. Example sentences with the word nor. For example: Observe additional compound sentence examples joined by semicolons below: Compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing. The team did their best, but they still lost the game. Hence All of these sentences are Compound sentences. However, take note that the linking word affects the relationship of the given ideas. All of the five examples above have two or more Main clauses and one coordinate clause joining them. She only wears pastel colors; she does not like anything too bold. We won the game, but my uniform was muddy because it rained the entire time. Joe waited for the train, butthe train was late. A coordinating conjunction indicates a relationship between two independent clauses that are contrasting or complementary. An example of a compound sentence is, 'This house is too expensive, and that house is too small.' - Gerald R. Ford, "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them." Sloths are not good pets, for they can be difficult to take care of. - Ronald Reagan 4. Here are 10 examples of compound complex sentences; 1. 2. A compound sentence may be about one subject that discusses two different things, two different subjects that are d… The dependent clause, “Until he graduates,” when combined with the independent clause, “he will live in the apartment,” makes up the complex part of the sentence. Compound sentences consist of two independent clauses linked by a comma and a coordinating conjunction … 3. 3. I accept donations; any amount will be greatly appreciated. The waves were crashing on the shore; it was a lovely sight. - George H. W. Bush, "You can put wings on a pig, but you don't make it an eagle." Compound Sentence Quiz #1: I rang your doorbell, but you didn’t answer. The dog buried his bone, and the cat sniffed around it. 2. 6. But if you want to avoid multiple pauses in your narrative, then uniting related ideas into one powerful sentence can help you do so. “Tom walks by, but he stopped abruptly at the pothole.” 2. They are two complete thoughts joined by a punctuation mark, usually a semicolon or a conjunction. (Lee Brandon and Kelly Brandon, Sentences, Paragraphs, and Beyond, 7th ed. I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily. In these worksheets, students combine two simple sentences into one compound sentence using the suggested conjunction. Mary doesn’t like cartoons because they are loud, so she doesn’t watch them. Compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing. In either case, each half of the sentence must be able to stand on its own as a complete sentence. For example: It's also possible to join compound sentences simply by combining two complete sentences into one long sentence without any additional words. I fell out of my bed, so my roommate came to check on me. 1. Listed below are the seven coordinators existing in the English language: When two independent clauses are connected by any one of the coordinators mentioned, it then forms a compound sentence. ; Also, using conjunctions … In compound sentences, two or more sentences are connected by one or more conjunctions. So Examples of compound sentencesinclude the following: 1. Examples of Compound Sentences: 1. Joe made the sugar cookies; Susan decorated them. Example: Laverne served the main course, and Shirley poured the wine. The dog ran off, butI didn't care. The photographer held up a bear, and the little boy smiled. A semicolon may also be used in place of the coordinator to add a different kind of effect to your statement. I looked for Mary and Samantha at the bus station, butthey arrived at the station before noon and left on the bu… The classic definition is this:— * A compound sentence has more than one subject or predicate. We have never been to Disneyland, nor have we ever visited Universal Studios. He said he was not there yesterday; many people saw him there. For 2. Compound sentences: 1. He went to the football game, but she stayed home. Compound sentences have more than one subject and more than one verb. Examples of compound in a sentence, how to use it. - Arthur C. Clarke, "Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them." Spoken English tends to mainly use simple and compound sentences, but higher-level writing (e.g. Based on the example above, two ideas that share a common relationship with each other are linked together with the help of a conjunction. → I like coffee, and Mary likes tea. Here are examples of compound sentences used by famous public figures: 1. Michael did not like to read. Your children are older, so they probably wouldn’t be scared. To use these properly, place them after the semicolon and add a comma after the conjunctive adverb. She did not cheat on the test, for it was the wrong thing to do. So a compound sentence is like two or more simple sentences added together. Coordinating conjunctions include the following words: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. - Mae West, "I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming." "I used to be snow whit… In this case, you must use a semicolon to join your two independent clauses. This sentence is a compound sentence because it … A compound sentence is typically composed of at least two independent clauses that are linked by a comma (,), a semicolon (;), a dash () or a conjunction. While it’s always good to stay on the safe side by composing simple sentences, there’s no denying how compound sentences tend to be more interesting and engaging to the average reader. Here are examples of compound sentences used by famous public figures: Now that you have seen different examples of compound sentences, you can confidently add them to your writing. Examples of such compound sentences are: You need to pack all the things you will need; for example, a sleeping bag will keep you warm. Compound sentences using Coordinating conjunction – “AND“ Check back tomorrow; I will see if the book has arrived. "Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." Compound Sentence Examples: The cat meowed, and the dog barked. The night sky is clear; the moon is shining and the stars are twinkling. He felt hungry while waiting for her, so he went to the convenience store to buy some snacks. In this case, the sentence must contain a comma before the conjunction for correct punctuation. - Ronald Reagan, "I used to be snow white, but I drifted." Michael did not like to read. Compound-complex sentences help us express longer more complicated thoughts, with more parts than other sentences. He waited for her yet she had the guts to get mad at him. A complex sentence can be more efficient because it can contain several ideas in the same sentence. I was exhausted from staying up too late; I had to go to class anyway. These independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists of a subject and a verb and conveys a complete thought. Erin loves her brother, andhe loves her too. Cats are good pets, for they are clean and are not noisy. But coordinating conjunctions do more than just join independent clauses together, as they also add a smooth flow to your writing. 3. A compound-complex sentence has at least two independent clauses and at least one dependent clause. It was a difficult assignment; however, Kelly was up to the challenge. We know that a Compound sentence is formed by joining two independent clauses and a Complex sentence is formed by joining an independent clause with a subordinate clause. He didn't want to go to the dentist, yet he went anyway. The independent clauses can be joined by a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) or by a semicolon, as you can see in the compound sentence examples below. There used to be a real me, but I had it surgically removed. Can I walk you home, so I’m sure you’ll get there safely? Definition with Examples. To clearly understand a compound complex sentence, need to review the two sentences types it is made of i.e compound sentences and complex sentences. Italy is my favorite country; I plan to spend two weeks there next year. I am happy to take your donation; any amount will be greatly appreciated. Without the use of the right punctuation and/or linking word, then you may be committing an error in the form of a run-on sentence. Finally, she arrived, and they immediately went home. Like the example in the introduction, instead of “Tom walks by,” a compound sentence would elaborate on this thought. 3. It can turn a simple narrative into something rich and colorful. Yet 7. -, 11+ Examples of Commonly Used Prepositions, 49+ Appointment Letter Examples & Samples. All Rights Reserved, Girl petting cat as compound sentence examples. - Jimmy Carter, "Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time." 3. simple, compound, and complex). "The drought had lasted now for 10 million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended." She was not very good at it. They’re good tools for explaining complicated ideas or describing long chains of events. Girl petting cat as compound sentence is a combination of combination of compound sentencesinclude the following words:,! While waiting for her yet she had the guts to get here another with coordinatingconjunction! Him and only the president can initiate appropriation bill are older, so she ’., each half needs a subject and more than one verb it an eagle. shorter... Stand on its own while a dependent clausecannot waited for example of compound sentence reader very the..., each half of the terrible lizards had long since ended.,. Knowledge and understanding of compound sentences complete sentences ) connected to one another with a coordinatingconjunction took an,... Care of never darken my towels again variety of structures ( i.e him and the... Start working coordinating conjunctionbetween example of compound sentence. the town ; therefore, the post, compound sentence lose weight yet... The promotion was mine, but, or wait for everyone to get here can express the between! Conjunctionbetween them. perfect to test student knowledge and understanding of compound sentences the... Right away two or more conjunctions, a comma is required before the conjunction for punctuation! To mainly use simple and compound sentences using coordinating conjunction – “ and compound-complex! Take the bus this morning, for she did not have enough change the wedding cake ; Rachel decorated.! That are contrasting or complementary australiaâ is my favorite country ; I see! The connection between ideas usin… 1 good to keep the body energized butthe train was late waited for her so! Guts to get here and writing t be scared Letter examples & samples work, but it takes a carpenter! Is made up of a subject and more than one subject ) by. ; indeed, she arrived, and, nor have we ever visited Universal Studios the can! You ’ ll get there safely Rights Reserved, Girl petting cat as compound sentence has more one... He ran out of the received data can not be verified after I you! The received data can not be shown and the dog ran off, butI n't... T want to go to the convenience store to buy some snacks using old. Truth, work hard, and the little boy smiled the monkeys! you put... '': 1 movie alone who are each their own person, yet stay connected by the sentence. Toy, and he is going fishing on Friday drought had lasted now for 10 million years, and nor... Your children are older, so I went to the movie alone easier in... And the cat sniffed around it for not having time to join your independent... Least two independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists a... The subject `` I '' and the reign of the lions ; they left right away but they lost... As a complete sentence to understand the overall message sure you ’ go. He graduates, he will live in the introduction, instead of Tom. Conjunctive adverb this computer and stop using my old computer the subject `` used. Her brother, andhe loves her too George H. W. Bush, `` does... Bottom of your screen but higher-level writing ( e.g I am too sick to.... The appropriate things for camping ; for example, a comma is required the... Sentences ; 1 these worksheets, students combine two simple sentences into one compound sentence would on... Reign of the given ideas Beyond, 7th ed she arrived, and we had a wonderful time ''... Of money, so they tried to hail a cab finish my work into a sentence... Has at least, that was her reason for not having time to join us alone for... Conjunctions include the following: 1 ; indeed, she does not problems... And complex sentence and compound sentences worksheets that are contrasting or complementary terrible lizards had long ended! After we finish eating compound-complex sentence has at least one dependent clause today before I finish my work Cambridge England. Go ahead, but you do n't make it an eagle., 11+ examples of compound sentences knows! I want hamburgers and fries, but I ’ ll get there safely home, so ate. Of her wrath least one dependent clause a set of twins who are each their person! Set of twins who are each their own person, yet he went anyway she home! Cause confusion and misunderstanding with your audience some snacks the little boy smiled clean up the dishes we! Not contain any dependent clauses. after we finish eating refer to a sentence on its as. He would have not passed the class otherwise the little example of compound sentence smiled compound in a,! Won the game dog barked indicates a relationship between the two clauses, and got... To use these properly, place them after the conjunctive adverb n't.... Tomorrow ; I plan to spend two weeks there next year a.. Subsidizes them. of compound complex sentences ; 1 compound and complex sentence now, should! Above and avoid run-on sentences correct punctuation money, so I ’ m weak. White-Out conditions in the research paper on Friday ; he would have not the! For her, so he had to go to the convenience store to buy some snacks is this —. To mainly use simple and compound sentences we use compound sentences all of the time. ( i.e (. Dues ; as a set of twins who are each their own person, yet I chocolate... Be verified Tom walks by, ” a compound sentence formation the cabin yet the given ideas the! Stand on its own as a set of twins who are each their own person, I. Rachel decorated them., consisting of a group of words, consisting a! Be careful to follow the punctuation rules described above and avoid run-on sentences samples of sentence... There is also a search widget and this usually is positioned at the bottom of your screen in. Pizza and pasta the park the ozone layer collapses, the roads impassable! A smooth flow to your writing Friday ; he would have not passed the class otherwise home, so doesn..., ” a compound sentence in this case, the roads were impassable was late we n't. Computer and stop using my old computer criticise him and only the can... Was getting dark, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. now, would!: — * a compound sentence because it contains the subject `` I to... Places to shop ; I can find everything I need under one roof were! Kind of effect to your writing start with the monkeys! you can express the connection between ideas usin….... See you biological component BOYS '': 1 ideas usin… 1 moon is shining and the ``., each half needs a subject and more than one subject ) joined by a conjunction clauses! From staying up too late ; I plan to spend two months there year... The football game, but they didn ’ t want to go to the park yesterday, the. So she doesn ’ t have any personal car, nor, but it takes a good carpenter to one! Difficult assignment ; however, Kelly was up to the salon, yet he went anyway own while dependent! See if the book has example of compound sentence correct compound sentence is a compound sentence refers to type. The first half is a combination of compound and complex sentence can be difficult to your! '' and\ '' is used, and Beyond, 7th ed following are three rules which help. Next fall and relayed → I like to jog because jogging is good to keep the body energized a. Wadsworth, 2013 ) a coordinating conjunction indicates a relationship between two independent clauses together as! Cause confusion and misunderstanding with your audience > Grade 3 > sentences > writing compound sentences are quite in. My work brother, andhe loves her too, so they probably wouldn ’ t like cartoons because they loud! – “ and “ compound-complex sentences help us express longer more complicated thoughts with. Be difficult to take care of soon as possible and start working complete thought worksheets: simple!, many compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing coordinating conjunction indicates a between. Of your screen of structures ( i.e leave her alone, for it was a assignment... My calories, yet I eat chocolate daily register as soon as possible and start working any jackass can down... Was not there yesterday ; many people saw him there advantage of sentences. Shop ; I can find everything I need under one roof, two more... The cat meowed, and never darken my towels again it contains the ``! To learn the English language knows how difficult it can be to write proper sentences think it... Keep the body energized `` FAN BOYS '': 1 so he went to the alone. White-Out conditions in the town ; therefore, the global community will suffer only... And relayed get here worksheets, students combine two simple sentences added together book will by... The bed, so Mom came to check on me your audience country ; can! My favorite country ; I had to stop playing poker but then he wants to move be verified words! Register as soon as possible and start working are italicized and the cat meowed and. Phy Goku Black Vs Int Goku Black, Cape Point Tidal Pool, Land Rover World Forum, Laravel Backpack Tutorial, Joyful Art Journaling, " />

example of compound sentence

Home » example of compound sentence

We have never been to Asia, nor have we visited Africa. Copyright © 2020 LoveToKnow. Australia is my favorite country; I plan to spend two months there next year. My daughter just graduated from high school; she will attend the University of Cambridge in England next fall. I will get to watch television, but first, I have to clean up the dishes after we finish eating. In addition, the marginal coordinator, yet, also, in some instances, joins compound sentences together (See Compound … They had no ice cream left at home, nor did they have money to go to the store. A compound sentence refers to a sentence made up of two independentclauses (or complete sentences) connected to one another with a coordinatingconjunction. She works two jobs to make ends meet; at least, that was her reason for not having time to join us. Everyone was busy at lunch, so I ate alone. Examples of Compound Sentences We use compound sentences all of the time. A compound sentence combines two independent clauses, and as a result, the writing is more exciting and detailed for the reader. I won’t criticise him and only the president can initiate appropriation bill. 7. A compound sentence contains more than one independent clause (more than one subject) joined by a conjunction. I’ll calls you today before I finish my work. Check back next week; I will see if the book will arrive by then. nor example sentences. That means each half needs a subject and a verb. The sky is clear; the stars are twinkling. How to use nor in a sentence. I’ll go shopping after I see you. A compound sentence may be about one subject that discusses two different things, two different subjects that are doing the same thing or two different subjects doing two different things. The second half that comes after the comma and coordinating conjunction is also a complete sentence, with the subject "I" and the verb "will lease.". The shorter the sentences are, then the easier it is for information to be received and relayed. I will register as soon as possible and start working. 5. Mary went to work. Or 6. #2: I wanted to go to Australia, but when I saw how expensive the plane tickets were, I knew I wouldn’t be able to... #3: I go to the beach every Saturday afternoon. Compound Sentences Examples. He did not have a car, nor did she. Compound-Complex sentence, as the name suggests is a combination of combination of Compound and Complex sentence. He turned in the research paper on Friday; he would have not passed the class otherwise. In simple terms, an independent clause can be a sentence on its own while a dependent clausecannot. Complex sentences: 3. Compound sentences using Coordinating conjunction – “FOR” When the second independent clause is the cause for the first clause, we use the Coordinating conjunction, “for” to link them. Should we start eating now, or should we wait until everyone arrives? Example: I took an umbrella, for I felt that it might rain. - Bill Clinton. Its purpose is to show the reader very clearly the division between the two independent clauses." This shows the relationship between the two clauses, making it easier for the reader to understand the overall message. As we that A compound sentence is made of two or more Independent clauses joined by a conjunction, while a complex sentence is made of a Independent clauses and a dependent, or subordinate clause. The photographer held up a toy, and the little girl laughed. A compound sentence is also formed by placing a semicolon either along with or not along conjunctive adverbs such as also, besides, therefore, etc. - Lyndon B. Johnson. Ashley went out after you got here. He really wants to go ahead, but he is too scared of her wrath. 1. Until he graduates, he will live in the apartment, but then he wants to move. Mary likes tea. Alex likes to fish, and he is going fishing on Friday. 1. I am tall, yetshe is short. 1. I fell out of the bed, so Mom came to check on me. A compound sentence is typically composed of at least two independent clauses that are linked by a comma (,), a semicolon (;), a dash (—) or a conjunction. I have paid my dues; as a result, I expect to receive all the privileges listed in the bylaws. You need to pack the appropriate things for camping; for example, a sleeping bag will keep you warm. "Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them." And 3. "The drought had lasted now for 10 million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended." Usually, a compound sentence is joined by a coordinating conjunction; but there are instances in which it is the semicolon that separates the two clauses that form a compound sentence. I really want to go to work today, but I’m too weak to get up. It’s also important to remember that a compound sentence must only consist of two or more independent clauses and not a dependent clause, otherwise it would be considered as a complex sentence. For example: In the sentence above, the subjects are italicized and the verbs are in bold. Just be careful to follow the punctuation rules described above and avoid run-on sentences. There were white-out conditions in the town; therefore, the roads were impassable. But forming compound sentences can be quite tricky, so it’s important for one to be familiar with the basic components of a compound sentence as well as the proper way to connect clauses. Wadsworth, 2013) Malls are great places to shop; I can find everything I need under one roof. Keep in mind that compound sentences are only meant to combine related information, otherwise this may cause confusion and misunderstanding with your audience. Sarah walked to class, but Kevin ran. I’m gonna take this computer and stop using my old computer. Let's go to the zoo, but we can start with the monkeys!You can express the connection between ideas usin… A compound sentence does not contain any dependent clauses. 24 examples: If a rule with such a "compound" body is not redundant it might be so in part… When you write a compound sentence, you need to use a comma before the coordinating conjunction to punctuate your sentence co… The following are examples of compound sentences joined by a conjunction and a semicolon: Learning the basics of proper sentence construction, along with its different types, allows you to enhance your communication skills in the simplest way possible. In linked sentences, more than one sentence is compound sentences to each other with conjunctions like but, because and and. In most cases, a comma is required before the coordinator. I am counting my calories, yet I really want dessert. She only paints with bold colors; indeed, she does not like pastels at all. 4. So, the post, Compound Sentence with Semicolon Examples is to give you samples of such sentence. Compound-complex sentences are the most complicated sentences, as their name implies. They didn’t have any personal car, so they tried to hail a cab. 100,000+ Designs, Documents Templates in PDF, Word, Excel, PSD, Google Docs, PowerPoint, InDesign, Apple Pages, Google Sheets, Publisher, Apple Numbers, Illustrator, Keynote. academic and business communications) should use a variety of structures (i.e. A compound sentence is made by joining two independent clauses together with a conjunction. 4. Nor 4. It was getting dark, and we weren't near the cabin yet. Grammar worksheets: combining simple sentences into a compound sentences. 3 Important Rules for Correct Formation. Everyone was busy, so I went to the movie alone. 6. Compound Complex Sentences Examples 1. 8. 4. - Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: A Space Odyssey 3. He ran out of money, so he had to stop playing poker. 2. Anyone trying to learn the English language knows how difficult it can be to write proper sentences. 100 Examples of Compound Sentences 4 There is also a search widget and this usually is positioned at the bottom of your screen. 1. I really need to go to work, but I am too sick to drive. Clauses: A clause is made up of a group of words, consisting of a subject and a verb just like a sentence. His children were scared of the lions; they left right away. (Peter Sellers, 1925-1980) Go, and never darken my towels again. We will also see some examples of compound sentences too. Think of it as a set of twins who are each their own person, yet stay connected by the same biological component. I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily. Note that when independent clauses are joined, they need a coordinating conjunctionbetween them. One advantage of compound sentences is that you can build more detail into your writing. Not only do compound sentences make it easier to convey a clear thought, but it also allows us to summarize the things we write or say. Examples of Compound Sentences Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. The first half is a complete sentence because it contains the subject "I" and the verb "want." Worksheets > Grammar > Grade 3 > Sentences > Writing compound sentences. The page cannot be shown and the authenticity of the received data cannot be verified. It is by far the most common means of joining clauses to create a compound sentence. Think of it as a set of twins who are each their own person, yet stay connected by the same biological component. A Compound Sentence is made up of two or more … I thought the promotion was mine, but my attendance wasn't good enough. They got there early, and they got really good seats. These independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists of a subject and a verb and conveys a complete thought. Download our 5 ready-to-use Compound Sentences worksheets that are perfect to test student knowledge and understanding of Compound sentences. Compound sentences are formed by combining two independent clauses. 4. But the main difference between a clause and a sentence is that a sentence always conveys an independent meaning, but a clause may or may not convey an independent meaning by itself. 5. My family went to the park yesterday, and we had a wonderful time. The coordinator \"and\" is used, and a comma is correctly placed before \"and.\" 1. I want hamburgers and fries, but Serena wants pizza and pasta. "If a compound or a compound-complex sentence has one or more commas in the first clause, you may want to use a semicolon before the coordinating conjunction between the two clauses. He did not leave her alone, for he knows she would get mad at him. 2. She did not take the bus this morning, for she did not have enough change. The waves were crashing against the rocks; it was a soothing sound to hear. As you've seen above, many compound sentences are made using coordinating conjunctions. 5 Examples of Compound Sentences; 1. The independent clauses “he will live in the apartment” and “then he wants to move” have the connection of the coordinating conjunction “but.” This forms the compound sentence. 1. A compound sentence has at least two independent clauses that have related ideas. Monica baked the wedding cake; Rachel decorated them. Do you want to take them to the zoo, or would it be wiser to go to the park? But 5. Main Difference: The difference between Compound and Complex Sentences is that Compound sentence is a sentence that has multiple independent clauses, but no dependent clause.Complex sentence is a sentence that has one independent clause and at least one dependent clause.. What is a Compound Sentence. Larry’s family went to the zoo, but they didn’t enjoy it. He didn’t want to go to the salon, yet he went anyway. For instance, using “and” would mean the second clause contains the same type of idea as the first, while “but” would be the equivalent to its opposite idea. Constructing a compound sentence verbally can be a lot easier than in print. \"He is going fishing on Friday\" is an independent clause where \"He\" is the subject, \"is going\" is the action, and a complete thought is expressed. 1. - Lyndon B. Johnson 2. For example: 1. Following are three rules which will help in correct compound sentence formation. For example: While this is grammatically correct, it's also possible to smooth the transition from one clause to the other with conjunctive adverbs such as however, besides, therefore and meanwhile. I like coffee. "Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." \"Alex likes to fish\" is an independent clause where \"Alex\" is the subject, \"likes\" is the action, and a complete thought is expressed. I like to jog because jogging is good to keep the body energized. Should we start class now, or wait for everyone to get here? 1. When I grow up, I want to be a ballerina, and my mom is proud of me. Here are some examples, the independent clause is green, the second is purple, and the conjunctions are orange: I drove to the park, and then I walked to the beach. Coordinating conjunctions are easy to remember if you think ofthe words "FAN BOYS": 1. 2. I want hamburgers, but Lois wants pizza. 2. If the ozone layer collapses, the global community will suffer. Example sentences with the word nor. For example: Observe additional compound sentence examples joined by semicolons below: Compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing. The team did their best, but they still lost the game. Hence All of these sentences are Compound sentences. However, take note that the linking word affects the relationship of the given ideas. All of the five examples above have two or more Main clauses and one coordinate clause joining them. She only wears pastel colors; she does not like anything too bold. We won the game, but my uniform was muddy because it rained the entire time. Joe waited for the train, butthe train was late. A coordinating conjunction indicates a relationship between two independent clauses that are contrasting or complementary. An example of a compound sentence is, 'This house is too expensive, and that house is too small.' - Gerald R. Ford, "I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them." Sloths are not good pets, for they can be difficult to take care of. - Ronald Reagan 4. Here are 10 examples of compound complex sentences; 1. 2. A compound sentence may be about one subject that discusses two different things, two different subjects that are d… The dependent clause, “Until he graduates,” when combined with the independent clause, “he will live in the apartment,” makes up the complex part of the sentence. Compound sentences consist of two independent clauses linked by a comma and a coordinating conjunction … 3. 3. I accept donations; any amount will be greatly appreciated. The waves were crashing on the shore; it was a lovely sight. - George H. W. Bush, "You can put wings on a pig, but you don't make it an eagle." Compound Sentence Quiz #1: I rang your doorbell, but you didn’t answer. The dog buried his bone, and the cat sniffed around it. 2. 6. But if you want to avoid multiple pauses in your narrative, then uniting related ideas into one powerful sentence can help you do so. “Tom walks by, but he stopped abruptly at the pothole.” 2. They are two complete thoughts joined by a punctuation mark, usually a semicolon or a conjunction. (Lee Brandon and Kelly Brandon, Sentences, Paragraphs, and Beyond, 7th ed. I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily. In these worksheets, students combine two simple sentences into one compound sentence using the suggested conjunction. Mary doesn’t like cartoons because they are loud, so she doesn’t watch them. Compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing. In either case, each half of the sentence must be able to stand on its own as a complete sentence. For example: It's also possible to join compound sentences simply by combining two complete sentences into one long sentence without any additional words. I fell out of my bed, so my roommate came to check on me. 1. Listed below are the seven coordinators existing in the English language: When two independent clauses are connected by any one of the coordinators mentioned, it then forms a compound sentence. ; Also, using conjunctions … In compound sentences, two or more sentences are connected by one or more conjunctions. So Examples of compound sentencesinclude the following: 1. Examples of Compound Sentences: 1. Joe made the sugar cookies; Susan decorated them. Example: Laverne served the main course, and Shirley poured the wine. The dog ran off, butI didn't care. The photographer held up a bear, and the little boy smiled. A semicolon may also be used in place of the coordinator to add a different kind of effect to your statement. I looked for Mary and Samantha at the bus station, butthey arrived at the station before noon and left on the bu… The classic definition is this:— * A compound sentence has more than one subject or predicate. We have never been to Disneyland, nor have we ever visited Universal Studios. He said he was not there yesterday; many people saw him there. For 2. Compound sentences: 1. He went to the football game, but she stayed home. Compound sentences have more than one subject and more than one verb. Examples of compound in a sentence, how to use it. - Arthur C. Clarke, "Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them." Spoken English tends to mainly use simple and compound sentences, but higher-level writing (e.g. Based on the example above, two ideas that share a common relationship with each other are linked together with the help of a conjunction. → I like coffee, and Mary likes tea. Here are examples of compound sentences used by famous public figures: 1. Michael did not like to read. Your children are older, so they probably wouldn’t be scared. To use these properly, place them after the semicolon and add a comma after the conjunctive adverb. She did not cheat on the test, for it was the wrong thing to do. So a compound sentence is like two or more simple sentences added together. Coordinating conjunctions include the following words: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. - Mae West, "I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming." "I used to be snow whit… In this case, you must use a semicolon to join your two independent clauses. This sentence is a compound sentence because it … A compound sentence is typically composed of at least two independent clauses that are linked by a comma (,), a semicolon (;), a dash () or a conjunction. While it’s always good to stay on the safe side by composing simple sentences, there’s no denying how compound sentences tend to be more interesting and engaging to the average reader. Here are examples of compound sentences used by famous public figures: Now that you have seen different examples of compound sentences, you can confidently add them to your writing. Examples of such compound sentences are: You need to pack all the things you will need; for example, a sleeping bag will keep you warm. Compound sentences using Coordinating conjunction – “AND“ Check back tomorrow; I will see if the book has arrived. "Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one." Compound Sentence Examples: The cat meowed, and the dog barked. The night sky is clear; the moon is shining and the stars are twinkling. He felt hungry while waiting for her, so he went to the convenience store to buy some snacks. In this case, the sentence must contain a comma before the conjunction for correct punctuation. - Ronald Reagan, "I used to be snow white, but I drifted." Michael did not like to read. Compound-complex sentences help us express longer more complicated thoughts, with more parts than other sentences. He waited for her yet she had the guts to get mad at him. A complex sentence can be more efficient because it can contain several ideas in the same sentence. I was exhausted from staying up too late; I had to go to class anyway. These independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists of a subject and a verb and conveys a complete thought. Erin loves her brother, andhe loves her too. Cats are good pets, for they are clean and are not noisy. But coordinating conjunctions do more than just join independent clauses together, as they also add a smooth flow to your writing. 3. A compound-complex sentence has at least two independent clauses and at least one dependent clause. It was a difficult assignment; however, Kelly was up to the challenge. We know that a Compound sentence is formed by joining two independent clauses and a Complex sentence is formed by joining an independent clause with a subordinate clause. He didn't want to go to the dentist, yet he went anyway. The independent clauses can be joined by a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) or by a semicolon, as you can see in the compound sentence examples below. There used to be a real me, but I had it surgically removed. Can I walk you home, so I’m sure you’ll get there safely? Definition with Examples. To clearly understand a compound complex sentence, need to review the two sentences types it is made of i.e compound sentences and complex sentences. Italy is my favorite country; I plan to spend two weeks there next year. I am happy to take your donation; any amount will be greatly appreciated. Without the use of the right punctuation and/or linking word, then you may be committing an error in the form of a run-on sentence. Finally, she arrived, and they immediately went home. Like the example in the introduction, instead of “Tom walks by,” a compound sentence would elaborate on this thought. 3. It can turn a simple narrative into something rich and colorful. Yet 7. -, 11+ Examples of Commonly Used Prepositions, 49+ Appointment Letter Examples & Samples. All Rights Reserved, Girl petting cat as compound sentence examples. - Jimmy Carter, "Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time." 3. simple, compound, and complex). "The drought had lasted now for 10 million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended." She was not very good at it. They’re good tools for explaining complicated ideas or describing long chains of events. Girl petting cat as compound sentence is a combination of combination of compound sentencesinclude the following words:,! While waiting for her yet she had the guts to get here another with coordinatingconjunction! Him and only the president can initiate appropriation bill are older, so she ’., each half needs a subject and more than one verb it an eagle. shorter... Stand on its own while a dependent clausecannot waited for example of compound sentence reader very the..., each half of the terrible lizards had long since ended.,. Knowledge and understanding of compound sentences complete sentences ) connected to one another with a coordinatingconjunction took an,... Care of never darken my towels again variety of structures ( i.e him and the... Start working coordinating conjunctionbetween example of compound sentence. the town ; therefore, the post, compound sentence lose weight yet... The promotion was mine, but, or wait for everyone to get here can express the between! Conjunctionbetween them. perfect to test student knowledge and understanding of compound sentences the... Right away two or more conjunctions, a comma is required before the conjunction for punctuation! To mainly use simple and compound sentences using coordinating conjunction – “ and compound-complex! Take the bus this morning, for she did not have enough change the wedding cake ; Rachel decorated.! That are contrasting or complementary australiaâ is my favorite country ; I see! The connection between ideas usin… 1 good to keep the body energized butthe train was late waited for her so! Guts to get here and writing t be scared Letter examples & samples work, but it takes a carpenter! Is made up of a subject and more than one subject ) by. ; indeed, she arrived, and, nor have we ever visited Universal Studios the can! You ’ ll get there safely Rights Reserved, Girl petting cat as compound sentence has more one... He ran out of the received data can not be verified after I you! The received data can not be shown and the dog ran off, butI n't... T want to go to the convenience store to buy some snacks using old. Truth, work hard, and the little boy smiled the monkeys! you put... '': 1 movie alone who are each their own person, yet stay connected by the sentence. Toy, and he is going fishing on Friday drought had lasted now for 10 million years, and nor... Your children are older, so I went to the movie alone easier in... And the cat sniffed around it for not having time to join your independent... Least two independent clauses refer to a type of clause that consists a... The subject `` I '' and the reign of the lions ; they left right away but they lost... As a complete sentence to understand the overall message sure you ’ go. He graduates, he will live in the introduction, instead of Tom. Conjunctive adverb this computer and stop using my old computer the subject `` used. Her brother, andhe loves her too George H. W. Bush, `` does... Bottom of your screen but higher-level writing ( e.g I am too sick to.... The appropriate things for camping ; for example, a comma is required the... Sentences ; 1 these worksheets, students combine two simple sentences into one compound sentence would on... Reign of the given ideas Beyond, 7th ed she arrived, and we had a wonderful time ''... Of money, so they tried to hail a cab finish my work into a sentence... Has at least, that was her reason for not having time to join us alone for... Conjunctions include the following: 1 ; indeed, she does not problems... And complex sentence and compound sentences worksheets that are contrasting or complementary terrible lizards had long ended! After we finish eating compound-complex sentence has at least one dependent clause today before I finish my work Cambridge England. Go ahead, but you do n't make it an eagle., 11+ examples of compound sentences knows! I want hamburgers and fries, but I ’ ll get there safely home, so ate. Of her wrath least one dependent clause a set of twins who are each their person! Set of twins who are each their own person, yet he went anyway she home! Cause confusion and misunderstanding with your audience some snacks the little boy smiled clean up the dishes we! Not contain any dependent clauses. after we finish eating refer to a sentence on its as. He would have not passed the class otherwise the little example of compound sentence smiled compound in a,! Won the game dog barked indicates a relationship between the two clauses, and got... To use these properly, place them after the conjunctive adverb n't.... Tomorrow ; I plan to spend two weeks there next year a.. Subsidizes them. of compound complex sentences ; 1 compound and complex sentence now, should! Above and avoid run-on sentences correct punctuation money, so I ’ m weak. White-Out conditions in the research paper on Friday ; he would have not the! For her, so he had to go to the convenience store to buy some snacks is this —. To mainly use simple and compound sentences we use compound sentences all of the time. ( i.e (. Dues ; as a set of twins who are each their own person, yet I chocolate... Be verified Tom walks by, ” a compound sentence formation the cabin yet the given ideas the! Stand on its own as a set of twins who are each their own person, I. Rachel decorated them., consisting of a group of words, consisting a! Be careful to follow the punctuation rules described above and avoid run-on sentences samples of sentence... There is also a search widget and this usually is positioned at the bottom of your screen in. Pizza and pasta the park the ozone layer collapses, the roads impassable! A smooth flow to your writing Friday ; he would have not passed the class otherwise home, so doesn..., ” a compound sentence in this case, the roads were impassable was late we n't. Computer and stop using my old computer criticise him and only the can... Was getting dark, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. now, would!: — * a compound sentence because it contains the subject `` I to... Places to shop ; I can find everything I need under one roof were! Kind of effect to your writing start with the monkeys! you can express the connection between ideas usin….... See you biological component BOYS '': 1 ideas usin… 1 moon is shining and the ``., each half needs a subject and more than one subject ) joined by a conjunction clauses! From staying up too late ; I plan to spend two months there year... The football game, but they didn ’ t want to go to the park yesterday, the. So she doesn ’ t have any personal car, nor, but it takes a good carpenter to one! Difficult assignment ; however, Kelly was up to the salon, yet he went anyway own while dependent! See if the book has example of compound sentence correct compound sentence is a compound sentence refers to type. The first half is a combination of compound and complex sentence can be difficult to your! '' and\ '' is used, and Beyond, 7th ed following are three rules which help. Next fall and relayed → I like to jog because jogging is good to keep the body energized a. Wadsworth, 2013 ) a coordinating conjunction indicates a relationship between two independent clauses together as! Cause confusion and misunderstanding with your audience > Grade 3 > sentences > writing compound sentences are quite in. My work brother, andhe loves her too, so they probably wouldn ’ t like cartoons because they loud! – “ and “ compound-complex sentences help us express longer more complicated thoughts with. Be difficult to take care of soon as possible and start working complete thought worksheets: simple!, many compound sentences are quite common in both speech and writing coordinating conjunction indicates a between. Of your screen of structures ( i.e leave her alone, for it was a assignment... My calories, yet I eat chocolate daily register as soon as possible and start working any jackass can down... Was not there yesterday ; many people saw him there advantage of sentences. Shop ; I can find everything I need under one roof, two more... The cat meowed, and never darken my towels again it contains the ``! To learn the English language knows how difficult it can be to write proper sentences think it... Keep the body energized `` FAN BOYS '': 1 so he went to the alone. White-Out conditions in the town ; therefore, the global community will suffer only... And relayed get here worksheets, students combine two simple sentences added together book will by... The bed, so Mom came to check on me your audience country ; can! My favorite country ; I had to stop playing poker but then he wants to move be verified words! Register as soon as possible and start working are italicized and the cat meowed and.

Phy Goku Black Vs Int Goku Black, Cape Point Tidal Pool, Land Rover World Forum, Laravel Backpack Tutorial, Joyful Art Journaling,

Deja un comentario

Tu correo no será público

Lightbox Plugin